First impressions

Post subject: First impressions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:56 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Well... Wow.

I can see where the evolution from daoc has been. When sifty and I went back there were quest givers and waypoints that made questing much easier.

The public quests are fun and seem a good way to break up the monotony of quest grinding. Many of the orc quests that I've done so far have been really funky. The Catapult quest is the funniest thing I've seen in a mmorpg ever :)

I like the RVR but my first real niggle is here. I think the range of levels is too great as it is.

At level 11 a character has it's first mastery chosen and all of our encounters last night were skewed when we met 3/4 rank 10/11 players in the same team. It was effectively renown farming for them. I suspect that a 1-6 6-14 15-25 break down might work better in the log run, or maybe even the old daoc idea of 1-5 6-10 11-15 etc

The game kept me pretty much entranced for 4-5 hours last night although it does sometimes feel like my tank takes bloody ages to kill mobs.

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 am 
Clanger!

In other news...

I played a dorf engineer last night and had a blast, nothing funkier then having a turret shooting an orc in the face repeatedly from closeby \o/

If the queues go down a bit I'll come over to the darkside but till then I'll be leveling an engi on ... erm... Kharak Nord i think...somthing like that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:35 am 
WanabeMage

which server did u roll that toon on then?
i'll throw my goodie goodie alts on hte same one then :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 am 
Clanger!

Natania wrote:
which server did u roll that toon on then?
i'll throw my goodie goodie alts on hte same one then :P

Karak-Norn

@ work at the moment though so not 100% sure, will update tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:08 am 
Sooooooooooooooooooopaman !!!

First impressions, I loved it, it may also have something to do with the fact I stayed well away from Beta.

Game looks sharp and polished, did not come across any annoying bugs, quest system pretty much an improvement on what WoW brought to the table (very simple to get and follow quests)

Need to have a proper play around with the ui and see where I like things to be, I hate having to zoom out everytime I die :(

Lag - I encountered zero in the zones I played in, including 1 pq where I was in a forest with 20+ other players killing shit loads of elves.

XP I levelled up to 8 last night, which was nice going just running around taking part in random pq's that I came across while on my way to new areas and exploring, I aim to fill my tome up with everything I come across even if it means killing that cute little rabbit!

WE damage is nifty as hell even at level 8 looking forward to testing out my first moral technique tonight.

RvR scenarios, fortunately I seem to have missed the level 11 guys kicking butt. I had shit loads of fun with a few deaths but way more kills to my name, considering the things I have read suggested that the WE didnt really start coming into its own until level 11 I am very pleased with how the character is playing. Actually being in a group with Triggs healing is a great benefit to someone with a bra for armour..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I'm enjoying it, the only frustration I have is that I hadn't appreciated that my PC was going to struggle as much as it is, but that's easy enough to remedy I just need to splash some cash.

My CE arrived this morning and I'm genuinely impressed with what's come in the box and the fact that the books are full size A4 and the concept art one is beautiful.

The figure that's inside is in GW packaging so I can imagine that the figure can be bought goose tbh and I doubt it would be that rare, but it's still a nice thing to have imo as part of the box.

The way things are going at the moment I can see me levelling several characters up at my normal leisurely pace because I really like the mechanics of the PQ's etc. This one imo looks like a keeper and is the reason I've been needing to spend some cash and get my PC upgraded.

I'm still not sure if forming our own guild is the right thing to do, but I would certainly hope that we get an alliance formed with SC. There are a couple of guys there that I really won't miss, but there are a few good eggs there too in all honesty that were a pleasure to play with.

Looks like a few UKC lads are joining up from EVE too, Raptor is a hoot on comms so I hope he carries on subscribing and we get him on our TS.

imo I think I've found a new gaming home for a good stretch, something I've been missing for a while... I just hope that the drops etc don't corrupt people into loot whores, I really didn't like that part in WoW. This is the closest opportunity we've had in a while to capture the neocron camaraderie imo and I'm looking forward to it...

| ASBO Allstar | Gypo Jihad | EvilNeileeeee | Gnorty Rascal | Kylie Age 8 | PSIco | Huntcliff | Bruv #1 | Eyema GonnaTakeYouToAGheyBar |

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:21 am 
Pub Barman
Pub Barman

Agree with you 100% EN!

Love the game, love the people, love my iPod.

RL update to all you cynics out there, i'll probably be offline for about 2-3 weeks in the coming month to move into my new pad with the missus. Thus enabling me to purchase a microphone and talk about Elfs and Goblins in the safety of my own home!

Speak too ya soon! :D

<3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:07 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

o/ everyone - you guys won't know me - im from the above eve forum. Daco/Mongoose and a few others will know me. Ordered the game after daco creamed on how wonderful it was, so i'll give the first 30 days a shot and see how it goes -. :) Might end up having to cancel an eve account!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:22 pm 
Stawberry blonde
Stawberry blonde

Never took part in Beta but was hoping it would be like stepping back into DaoC. Glad to say not disapointed at all really love the feel and depth of the game already. PQ's are superb and loving the battlegrounds all over again. Shammy is coming along nicely, hit level 8 last night so got a good couple of heals now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Still haven't played the game, but...

I picked up my CE copy today. Well worth every quid, I say - the books are great, screw the mousepad (which was a bit of a downer truth be told), and the figure... I'll just keep in its widdle blisterpack and sell for a fortune a year down the road. Mwaha.

But yeah, the CE books are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Fish3r wrote:
RL update to all you cynics out there, i'll probably be offline for about 2-3 weeks in the coming month to move into my new pad with the missus. Thus enabling me to purchase a microphone and talk about Elfs and Goblins in the safety of my own home!
<3

You really believe that? I knew right away that actually moving in to a house with my wife meant the end of comms at the very least. Spend more than 10 minutes on a computer when you've just moved in with them and you're ignoring them and being an asshole :oops: God help you if your house needs some DIY too, you'll be lucky to get to check your e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:22 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

if ANYONE has a collectors edition mini spare..... :p

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:27 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Can you not just buy the mini separate?

| ASBO Allstar | Gypo Jihad | EvilNeileeeee | Gnorty Rascal | Kylie Age 8 | PSIco | Huntcliff | Bruv #1 | Eyema GonnaTakeYouToAGheyBar |

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:17 am 
Old Man

I'm bored so here's my first impressions for anybody playing WOW that are considering buying the game.......

Questing

The quests keep you interested right from the start, ok it's not easy mode like wow with quest helpers but it flows really well. You still get 'kill 25 mobs and oh by the way when you get back you gotta kill the mobs standing next em as well' but it doesn't matter because you're constantly moving to the next tier. Kind of like moving from Elwyn Forest to Hinterlands but without the boring run.

Hovering over the map will show you the general areas where quest items and objectives can be found it's not exact that would be boring but it helps :)

Public Questing

I must admit I thought they were a bit stupid at first but they're so much fun. Almost instantly you get the feeling of community - every player on the realm heading for a common goal. Really good fun and you get some nice loot too......well goose does with his roll hacks!

Abilities

Not a clue....seriously not a clue! I’m slowly getting my head round it all there are different ways to get abilities I’ll get back to you on this one when I’ve worked it out! :)

Flying

You can fly from war camp to war camp this annoyed me at first but I was comparing it to WOW. It actually makes perfect sense. In wow the war was over, in this game the WAR is happing now. Logical really I guess you'd move reinforcements from camp to camp.

While I’m on flying you don't have to watch a long ass flight you chat to the flight master and within seconds you're at your destination so no time to make a cuppa or go for a ciggy :)

RvR (PvP)

This is structured differently to WOW. Once you have reached a level cap for a certain battleground you can't go back. Kind of like not being able to do AV once you hit level 60. The battle grounds I've come across so far have been interesting oh and you get to jump on bolt throwers and shoot people which is awesome :) RvR gains renowned points for renowned rewards and abilities.

I would compare renown to honour in WOW but it works differently. Renowned points will buy you abilities and armour. It goes up really quickly so no grinding for a week to get a blue chest more like 30 minutes if that

Public RvR

Basically you walk in to an RvR area you become flagged whether you like it or not (fair enough). Basic battleground stuff really capture objectives /dance get loot and move to another war camp (if you want too). You get rewarded with be renowned rewards for public RvR (see above)

Loot

Alot like WOW really if you're in a group need, greed and pass. Right from the start I was receiving crafting loot, lots of greens and I must have seen 4-5 blue items before I was level 8. It's different to wow, public quests seem to drop alot of blues to which you can roll on if you're in the war band (raid group).

Frustratingly you can't buy more bags and at the moment potions don't seem to stack. You do receive more bag space when you cap certain levels which is handy. Quest items are auto looted and get stored in the quest items section of you bag which is handy too.

That's all for now. Sorry for babbling on but the WAR servers are down atm. I've no doubt missed alot of stuff out but i'm still learning the game and the warhammer story :)

Ravs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:24 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

nice post rav, that nearly made me want to consider buying the game :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:40 am 
Old Man

Think you should macey! it's worth buying just to see goose heal ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:45 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Macey stop being such a fucking queen and go buy a copy. If you do I promise to occasionally un-mute you on comms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:46 am 
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt

For me the most fun aspect about this game is pvp .. Its simply awesome..

The fun of running round in a large guild pvp group taking keeps and battle objectives is both fun and rewarding. The scenarios (BG's) , well the ones ive been in , are well laid out and fun to play. I do like the way you can dodge behind a tree and go out of los. Also as Ravs said the seige weapons you can use are just soo much fun especially when in sniper mode..

If they dont break this game with patches it could well be a keeper. :)

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:40 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

ravs wrote:
Think you should macey! it's worth buying just to see goose heal ;)

It takes them about 30 seconds in every bg to work out that I'm keeping the main tank/dps alive then I spend the rest of the scenario running about like fook :)

I need a pet squig so they think I'm a 'herder!

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:42 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

mongoose wrote:
if ANYONE has a collectors edition mini spare..... :p

M

Hmmmm... It's the piece I'm least interested in, but ... it's a collectimable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:45 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I'll happily pay for the mini btw.

I want it for my orc & goblin army :)

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:04 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

How much are the monthly subs after the free period?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:12 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

£15 unless you buy a longer subs period than 1 month.

Yes it's expensive.

Yes it's silly.

So far I think it's worth it. I've got 30 days to decide :p

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:34 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Aye, I won't be doing it in one month slots, I'll be buying a long chunk up front tbh.

Not sure about keeping my sorc though, will play through to mid 20's I think, but I'm finding it hard work to not nuke myself, if only I get RP's for killing myself I'd be RR100!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:56 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

mongoose wrote:

M

http://blog.coolminiornot.com/skeeve/no ... oning.html

Thought you would appreciate this Goose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Subs are either £9 or £10 per month if you buy monthly depending how you interpret this FAQ:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65154

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:49 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Tbh, if its £15 a month then that pretty much makes my decision not to play final, I cant afford that when im still at uni with things going the way they are, tis too much moneyz when I can play CSS and COH for free forever.

If there are any buddy keys going spare then let me know though =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:51 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

mongoose wrote:

M

It's quite good actually - had a better look at it (not opening the blister pack, of course), and the details are... well, GW level, but the model is good - I especially like the gobbo shaman on his shoulder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:52 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

macey wrote:
Tbh, if its £15 a month then that pretty much makes my decision not to play final, I cant afford that when im still at uni with things going the way they are, tis too much moneyz when I can play CSS and COH for free forever.

£15 is like drinking 5 less pints of beer a month and whilst from your performance at goosefest when you feared they beer, I'm sure now you're a little older and have kissed a girl and seen Vegas' willy, you must manage to drink at least 5 pints a month that you could cut out your budget to afford the subs?

Pfeh students today... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:24 pm 

i cant see em making it more expensive than other current mmos out there.. It doesnt make sense. Id go for the £8ish area anymore than that and the price would put too many off paying anyway..

Quote:
Q: Will there be a monthly charge to play?
A: Yes, they are currently 12.99 Euros a month (about £10) If you buy 3 months it will be at 35.97 Euros (about £28.55) or 6 months for 65.94 Euros (about £52.34) All are subject to change.

Q: Will there be a price drop to £8.99 a month?
A : Yes there will be. Here are the current UK subscription prices. £8.99 per month, £25.17 for 3 months, £46.14 for 6 months (as per Magnus from GOA - cheers) As far as anyone is aware these prices do include VAT, but as with any other prices are subject to change.

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:58 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

Not sure of 1st Impressions.
rvr is ok if a bit repeditive but as I am a complete fantasy mmo noob still struggling to come to terms with it. Public quests etc ok, RVR ok but same theme again and again atm for me.
LAgg is a monster issue for me tbh with the wait to log into the server and the lag when online may give up completely.
Will wait till I get into the guild if I can ever work out how to, have joined cybergings channel but how to I see it and talk in it?
Overall so far not too impressed seems like wow with rvr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:41 pm 
Ginger Wannabe
Ginger Wannabe

i had the same impresion mate, but once u get in it aint to bad and gets far more fun :-), just stick with it a bit mate :-)

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:46 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

OK will try for a while - but how do i get the chat thing working and where are is the guild meeting up.
Also is there a Teamspeak/Vent server?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:14 am 

http://www.beta.fun4forums.co.uk/viewto ... highlight=

Akemi wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:14 pm 
Ginger Wannabe
Ginger Wannabe

Salmandi Deritro wrote:
OK will try for a while - but how do i get the chat thing working and where are is the guild meeting up.
Also is there a Teamspeak/Vent server?

right mate in game down where the chat window is, there is a button thats like a giant I click that then select guild, then when u want to chat press enter type what u want to say then again press enter to send, and yes there s a vent server mate, not sure if where allowed to post it here or not tho so i shall await the decision of our esteemed grumpyness to answer :-)

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:21 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I've already pmed the guild server details over to sal and cass :)

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:53 am 
Im Like Frank Gallagher, Shameless !!

EvilNeileeeee wrote:
macey wrote:

£15 is like drinking 5 less pints of beer a month and whilst from your performance at goosefest when you feared they beer, I'm sure now you're a little older and have kissed a girl and seen Vegas' willy, you must manage to drink at least 5 pints a month that you could cut out your budget to afford the subs?

Pfeh students today... ;)

my willy is worth £15 a month.

I'm playing (well i'm getting a new pc tomorrow hopefully)
So you have no excuse macy you utter Cardif Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:01 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

Looks like I'll be getting it over the week-end, so will be good see all the old tribe about hopefully

even the grumpy buggers :wink:

learning curve gonna hit vertical by the looks