Buzzark, I need ur help

Post subject: Buzzark, I need ur help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:10 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

:)

Monday 7-7-2003 my server busted (a condenser was blown out), along with fucking the harddisk. So i can't use either one of em.
I had another pc (2x faster), so i pulled the nic cards out and put them in the other pc. Luckily the cards were still working.
Windows ME was already installed, so i only had to put the cards in and install the proxyserver ive been using the past 2 or 3 years.
Internet, ftp, etc.. All is working. So i start Neocron (yes I still play :P), everything is still working, i can select the server and the character i want to play. press next. blam black screen. CTRL+ALT+DEL / ALT+F4 isnt working, only thing working is the reset button (and mayb e the power switch :P).
Ive had some trouble with RTCW not connecting anymore in the past, so i knew how to add ports, i now get the "synchronising screen" but it still won't load.

I didnt not have any problems with connecting in the past (neither have i changed or had to add ports for nc)..
KuifJe told me to ask the all-knowing Buzzark :P:D, do you have any idea what might be causing all this?

Server:
Intel Celeron 305mhz
96mb sdram (so xp isnt an option as someone mentioned on the nc forums)
Internal IP: 90.0.0.1 (this machine is 90.0.0.3)
2NICs:
3Com Etherlink XL PCI TP0 NIC (3c900B-TP0)
Winproxy [Version 3.0R1d]

I have tried NAT and transparent proxy. (using NAT didnt even get me to the login screen)
transparent proxy - Firewall: every option from security option "Off" to "High"

tia
Realtek RTL8019 LAN-adapter or compatible device

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:15 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

It does look like a routing/firewall problem.

First, check that TCP/IP is the only network protocol on the router machine. It's been a long time, but I seem to remember WinME installing NetBEUI as standard. Anyway, if you have no particular need for them remove any extra ones - (NetBEUI, IPX/SPX)

Second, if you are using NTL make sure the card you have connected to the NTL box with (on your router) is the same one as the one that connected (sorry forgot... you're Dutch right???? no NTL???) anyway, your provider might still use a security feature that checks the MAC address on the network card for authorisation.

Third, try WinME's Internet Connection Sharing, it works, but you lose any firewall protection - worth trying to troubleshoot though.

Lastly, have a check through these off the Neocron support section - although I'm guessing you're probably done them, that's why they are last:
The IP the Neocron Launcher tries to connect to canbe found in the UPDATER.INI file in your "Neocron/Ini" directory. In that file there should be two lines looking like this:

SERVERIP=62.140.29.54

GAMESERVERIP=62.140.29.54

If yours doesn't show the above IP number, please change it.

Are you connecting to the Internet through a firewall? Many people use "Personal Firewalls" nowadays which may block the ports Neocron needs to run correctly. To make sure your Firewall isn't the problem, turn it off for a short while and try to log into the game in that time.

If you use an advanced Firewall, make sure that the following ports are open for Neocron:

TCP/IP: 7000, 8020, 8040, 12000 (all remote)

UDP: 6000, 6001 (both local); 5000 - 5016 (all remote)

Let me know if you get anywhere...

Buzzark. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:05 am 
Clanger!

Buzzark wrote:
...SNIP...

Second, if you are using NTL make sure the card you have connected to the NTL box with (on your router) is the same one as the one that connected (sorry forgot... you're Dutch right???? no NTL???) anyway, your provider might still use a security feature that checks the MAC address on the network card for authorisation.

...SNIP...

Yus, Chello (the Dutch eqiuvalent of NTL by the sounds of it) check the MAC adress of the original NIC suplied when they installed cable. This was a nice little problem when I installed my router a while back :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:29 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

how can you check the MAC? :oops: (thought it was "ipcfg" with Start>Run?)

btw i tried opening all the ports you mentioned. The firewall is built in, into Winproxy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:42 am 
Clanger!

Dunno either :oops:

But then again, you'd prolly get no i-net access whatsoever if it wasnt propperly connected :?

Still looks like you're not getting any feedback from the gameserver tho, so that's where the trouble is. Connect ur cable directly to your own pc instead of the proxy and see if u can connect then. If so, u can safely say the proxy is fux0red.

Or, as Buzz said, use the ICS stuff in win ME for a change and see if you can connect then first. Less hassle with rewiring and shizz ;)

BTW, you're not having trouble with IRC/MSN/ICQ??

If not join #cybergings for a mo and see if we can figure it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:56 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

awww fug it irc/msn (dont have icq anymore) isnt working either =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:10 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

OK uninstalled Winproxy and am now using ICS.. and its working =]
Will probably buy a router or switch.. untill then im sticking to ICS..

ta both

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:00 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Cool - thanks for the localised info KuifJe. :D
Sometimes with the MAC addressing security I've noticed that you can plug in a machine (NIC card) that has previously had access and it still gives port 80 (web) access, but blocks everything else until the card is removed from the setup and reauthorised. It's a bug I think, or an undocumented "feature" ;)

Anyway, seems like it's just the proxy software. There are lots of alternatives that have firewalls too - Tiny, zonealarm (not a fave), erm... others...
Try www.download.com and look through the lists.

Or get a hardware one which I prefer anyway.

Glad you're sorted anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:58 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

1 forum left!! :)

M