Wireless Network

Post subject: Wireless Network
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:06 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Getting sick of all the wires lying about my bedroom and the really long one coming up stairs for the internet, so was thnking about goin wireless but dunno if its worh it or not.

So anyone no anything about them, are they good, bad etc?,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:12 pm 
Ginger Wannabe
Ginger Wannabe

Tried wireless bridge between upstairs and down, didn't work very well tbh, every time we had a power cut would take ages to get working again. Fitted a wire through the walls now, works every time.

Wireless from router to computer is ok, not had any probs with it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:38 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

Been using wireless for over 5 years now and have had no trouble but it does depend on where your wireless access point will be situated and how your house is constructed. Solid floors/walls aren't good for wireless. If you use a laptop round the house too then it's another plus.
If you're thinking of getting wireless to replace a network cable coming up the stairs only then you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.
If it's a possibility, you could always run the network cable outside the house and then drill out from the upstairs bedroom. That's what I have done. The port in the bedroom then leads to my wireless router. My main pc is still hard wired to the wireless router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:29 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

i heard you loosing speed connection with wireless, is that true ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:29 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

bregor wrote:
i heard you loosing speed connection with wireless, is that true ?

Not if you have the router configured correctly and with sufficient signal strength and quality. It's worth doing some investigation in to routers before you buy though. Some perform better than others, some are simpler to configure and some come with less functionality than others. I still have my original router from years ago so am probably not best placed to give advice on newer models but I'm sure that there are others here who could recommend a model or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:34 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Sift wrote:
Been using wireless for over 5 years now and have had no trouble but it does depend on where your wireless access point will be situated and how your house is constructed. Solid floors/walls aren't good for wireless. If you use a laptop round the house too then it's another plus.
If you're thinking of getting wireless to replace a network cable coming up the stairs only then you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.
If it's a possibility, you could always run the network cable outside the house and then drill out from the upstairs bedroom. That's what I have done. The port in the bedroom then leads to my wireless router. My main pc is still hard wired to the wireless router.

I'd just like to point out that cat 5 UTP is NOT SHIELDED!!!

If you were ever to get a lightning strike near to the house the chances are you would fry both your network card and your router if you route a cable outside of the house without some form of shielding.

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:49 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

mongoose wrote:
Sift wrote:

If you were ever to get a lightning strike near to the house the chances are you would fry both your network card and your router if you route a cable outside of the house without some form of shielding.

M

In the unlikely event of a lightning strike hitting a cable attached to your house I'm sure replacing a £50 router and a £10 NIC would be the least of your worries.

I've got mine wired on the outside of the house with CAT5 for the past 6 years, I'm relying on the hundreds of nicely conducting TV aerials nearby to provide a path of least resistance from lightning :)

| ASBO Allstar | Gypo Jihad | EvilNeileeeee | Gnorty Rascal | Kylie Age 8 | PSIco | Huntcliff | Bruv #1 | Eyema GonnaTakeYouToAGheyBar |

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:53 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Remember that you'll share the bandwidth with the other wireless computers on your wireless network. If you, like above posters have pointed out, live in a house with solid walls etc, that will further add to you loss of speed. Wireless LAN's are good for most things, but I'd say it really depends on what you wanna do with your computer(s). Don't expect to be able to watch a streaming HQ movie w/o interrupts if you are "far" away from the acces point/router ;)

Personally, I'm using a Netgear FWG114P. Works like a charm, but of course my printer isn't compatible with the built-in printer server. If you buy a wireless router with such a one, make sure your printer(s) like it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:42 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Printers are so 1990s. I think I've used mine twice in the 18 months I've had it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:34 am 
Dirty Daoc Player

mongoose wrote:
Sift wrote:

M

Thanks for the warning. On reading this I immediately ran outside with 2 dozen rolls of Bacofoil and have now shielded the cable. I have also wrapped up my tv aerial just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:43 pm 
N.S.F.W.

Sift wrote:
Thanks for the warning. On reading this I immediately ran outside with 2 dozen rolls of Bacofoil and have now shielded the cable. I have also wrapped up my tv aerial just in case.

Now wrap some around your head to cut out the CIA's thought control devices and/or messages from God/ET's.
:D

You rawk Gynggyr :D You're undoubtedly my favourite welsh c*nt.
I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...