Get a job you bum!!!111

Post subject: Get a job you bum!!!111
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:48 am 
Ginger Quiff with Crimson Low Lights

Ok, so I'm sick to death of my current work, which is manager of a local pizza restuarant & I wan't to do something else....

Scroll on a couple weeks & I come across this:
http://www.rockstargames.com/jobs/

Quote:
Rockstar North is looking for enthusiastic and passionate game testers to join its QA teams. You will be expected to play through our games looking for problems and accurately reporting errors to ensure game quality before release. The position is a full-time fixed term contract running for eight months. Candidates must be 18 years of age and above and provide two referees.

Required: Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must; as is attention to detail and good general computer skills, including word-processing; working with databases and spreadsheets.

Desired: Previous industry experience with software QA would be advantageous but not essential.

To apply please send your full current CV and a cover letter (detailing your history as a gamer and why you think you have the skills to make a good tester).

Please Note: Applications made without both CV and Gaming History will be automatically rejected.

Rockstar are only interested in direct applications for this position and will not be inviting agencies to forward candidates.

Since I am a self confessed games addict, & I think this kind of work would appeal to my anal side this could be a dream job for me. So basically I am looking for advice, what is the best way to promote myself in terms of getting this job? Is it to point out all the various aspects of my personality, social & technical skills that would facilitate me in the job (I do have great office exp, even some software testing exp, but not Game testing exp). Or do they tend to look more for gamming experience, in which case should I list all the games I've played since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Or is there anything else that I might not have thought of that I should really make sure they are aware of?

As ever, thanks in advance...

WoW (Bloodhoof) - Pogmahone 70 Priest, Pogmashon 70 Shaman
EQ1 (Cazic Thule) - Pohok 67 Shadowkinght
Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone
Secret World (Grim) - Shannon "Glaeva" Feng QL5 (Dragon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:37 am 
MothaFuka

I guess if you have ever played any beta versions and provided feedback then that would always be good to mention.
If you have not, then I would suggest a blend of the two. They need a CV which will obviously mention the office amd communication skills. Would be best to highlight the software testing role in that too - to show you have exeprience of the process for error reporting/fixing etc.

They also ask for Gaming history, so a bit about this also would be good. Im not sure if listing each game would be approriate, but maybe list the ones you have spent the most time with, and give an idea of the genres you play most.

Just my tuppence - I cant really say for sure of course!

Good luck with it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:46 am 
N.S.F.W.

Beta testing anything is helpful, create a toon on the test realm of WoW or Galaxies (if they still have such a thing). Maui's advice is sound, play to your strengths.
Failing that send them loads of pizza. Software droogs love the stuff apparently :wink:

You rawk Gynggyr :D You're undoubtedly my favourite welsh c*nt.
I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...

Post subject: Re: Get a job you bum!!!111
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:05 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Pog wrote:
Required: Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must

And they advertise this job in Scotland? Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack :P

On a serious note I think Burly may have recently made the very same step you're thinking of. Pretty sure he worked at a pizza place and is now a games tester so might be worth him giving his advice, first time for everything. :P

Last edited by Beans on Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:23 am 
HAI KARATE!!!!!11

Youd be perfect for that job beans. You moan like a bastard.

[15:54:29] Dacovale > just a flying visit to transer some isk to my new mining char

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:33 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

My real name is Angus McBeans :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:33 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I'd say you should also put some stuff in about personal skills and attributes that are relevant to the job. They're bound to get a lot of applications from spotty little twats that just want to play games for a living so you need to stand apart from them. I reckon you'll need to convince them that you do love games BUT you have a mature attitude and realise that the job is about testing their games, looking for problems, giving suggestions on improvements and helping them to take their product to market in the best shape possible. At the end of the day it's a business and good beta testing gives them a better product that people will buy and that they then spend less time and money on patching.

I had 5 years in HR prior to becoming a Broadband techy and did a lot of recruitment for BT, at a senior and graduate level. If you want an expert eye to look at the CV and some help translating English in to corporate bollocks speak then I'm happy to help :wink: Seriously, the first part of a good application is decoding the advert and making sure you give them what they want at the paper sifting stage so you get an interview. PM me if you want any specific help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:44 pm 
MothaFuka

This reminds me of a top tip I once read in Viz. Went something like:

EMPLOYERS Avoid hiring unlucky people by immediately tossing half the CVs into the bin.

Im now reading the top tips on the website - some of them are great!

http://www.viz.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:33 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

It's funny you should say that m8 - I used to throw all the ones who'd been to private school in the bin. They'd had enough of an advantage in life.

Smash the system from within!!

Fave Viz tip

Annoy and frustrate SpecSavers staff by wandering up to their counter, squinting your eyes whilst looking up at the price board, and when they ask if they can help you, saying "Big Mac Meal, please.