Linux..

Post subject: Linux..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:11 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Im bored and thinking of installing linux, see what its like, but ive never looked at it before, so not sure which one to go with, any suggestions?, or any advice about installing it or anyfin really lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:10 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I installed Suse 10.2 this week and not had much time to fiddle with it. It's going to be a bit of a fiddle to get my wireless card to work with it as linux doesn't support wireless for some reason but there's plenty of articles saying how to get the drivers in etc. It's pretty easy to use though. I tried Ubuntu a week or so ago and it seemed utter shit but that could just be personal preference. Anywho it's a doddle to install assuming all your drivers are found. 10.3 is apparently on it's way but I couldn't be bothered to wait as I like all the command prompt stuff anyways which won't change much and I wanted to get learning mySQL and PHP, though rebooted to Vista to get the wireless driver then forgot what I was doing :oops:

The obvious advice with linux is don't login as Root, if something needs root permissions it's a quick su or even just a password but I saw one guy fuck up 4 servers in a week by expanding files in the root directory which stopped the servers booting just because he refused to use a normal login rather than root. And before anyone says it no that wasn't me :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:38 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

lol well im sure ill cock somfin up somewhere along the line, but i dont think i have to worry about fucking up servers as its just for this pc at home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:05 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

That's the best way to start, just have it as a dual boot and play with it and the free apps you can get, then get WINE and see what windows apps you need you can get working on it, eventually you'll stop booting into windows at all apparently, I haven't though as I'm a bone idle bast and generally install it then forget about it :P