WoW Downloader Vista issues

Post subject: WoW Downloader Vista issues
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:10 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

My g/f got a new laptop with Vista and I have installed WoW on it so she can get hooked on it as well.....

There seems to be some issues with setting up the port forwarding and firewall access with Vista though.

For my PC with XP I just followed the online guides and sorted it in about 15 minutes, but none of those guides have been updated for Vista yet.
The differences appear to be pretty minimal so I followed the same process and thought I'd sorted it.

However, even after all that, the downloader still says "Your computer appears to be behind a firewall" and I'm getting painfully slow d/l speeds.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:28 pm 
Clanger!

Turn of firewall? Wouldn't be surprised though if that is not an easy option with Vista.

Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 pm 
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt

Turn of the account management shit. The one that prompts you when you wanna do anything.

With that off ive had no issues at all ..

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:24 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Yee accounts manager is utter utter bullshit. I can't remember if you need to allow things in windows defender too. If you have a proper firewall I'd switch all that windows bullshit off all it does is get on my tits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:53 pm 
Clanger!

If the download manager is running and receiving data it's got nothing to do with User Account Control seeing the program is allready running.

I take it you opened the different port numbers on the windows firewall as well?

Patches are torrent based so it's possible the older ones arent around as much and therefor are slow.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors

There's some sites there to get the patches from, directly from TBC - 2.2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:40 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

User Accounts manager lets you run things but even with an admin account you don't have the same powers as the administrator account on the PC so it's possible it could be causing issues still. Although it's probably not the reason for this problem it's sound advice to switch it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:54 am 
Clanger!

Let's agree to disagree then :P

it's never sound advice to turn off security features (all imo ofcourse!). You wouldn't listen to somebody who'd say "it's a nice neighbourhood, you don't have to lock your doors", at least I wouldn't.

I agree it's annoying at best, but it prevents abuse by trojans and the like and user initiated "accidental software installation" (i.e. Incredimail on corporate PC's >.<).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:04 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

You're such a pro tech guy Kuif. Luv joo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:01 pm 
MothaFuka

Just a comment for what its worth, the blizz downloader can often be a bit shit, and often says to me "you appear to be behind a firewall". (running XP)

Sometimes when I leave it alone, it downloads anyway, sometimes not.

Best bet as mentioned above is to get the files from mirror sites.

Alternatively maybe burn the exe files from your machine onto a disk and then put them on the other machine? I dunno.

I often feel i need a op sys refresh, and its stuff like this that puts me off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:12 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

KuifJe wrote:
Let's agree to disagree then :P

it's never sound advice to turn off security features (all imo ofcourse!). You wouldn't listen to somebody who'd say "it's a nice neighbourhood, you don't have to lock your doors", at least I wouldn't.

I agree it's annoying at best, but it prevents abuse by trojans and the like and user initiated "accidental software installation" (i.e. Incredimail on corporate PC's >.<).

It also prevents legacy applications installing as well as any Vista application that may not call administration permissions the Vista way. I've had graphics drivers fail to install due to UAM and I know one of our applications here installs on Vista fine if you switch it off as you get proper admin rights to install DLLs rather than having to call for them through a remote application.

UAM is Microsoft's attempt to replicate Linux et al's call for root permissions to install applications but it's been implemented badly and as such applications granted those permissions can still fail to install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:26 pm 

Beans wrote:
It also prevents legacy applications installing as well as any Vista application that may not call administration permissions the Vista way. I've had graphics drivers fail to install due to UAM and I know one of our applications here installs on Vista fine if you switch it off as you get proper admin rights to install DLLs rather than having to call for them through a remote application.

UAM is Microsoft's attempt to replicate Linux et al's call for root permissions to install applications but it's been implemented badly and as such applications granted those permissions can still fail to install.

And i think in summary the overall jist of this is that its shit, is what i think he is trying to convey in that last statement.

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Cheers for the responses - I've turned off the UAM shite, which makes Vista instantly less irritating.

Best advice seems to be download the updates from mirrors so I'll give that a spin when 2.3 is released.

Thanks clever people and experts (and Beans as well)