Windows refresh

Post subject: Windows refresh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 pm 
MothaFuka

I have a few questions about refreshing my windows. I have done this many times before, and normally just taken the loss of data in my stride. I really would like to avoid downloading all the patches and addons for Wow again, and would also like to save a lot of other gamesave files and suchlike.

Im currently having massive problems with windows. First and foremost I keep getting an annoying WGA popup when im playing. Please no lectures - lets just say I am the victim of SW counterfitting.
I had a dll workaround which until recently did the job, but now it does not.
Windows also hangs a lot, takes an eternity to log on and shut down, and im plagued by 'not responding' processes and stuff like that. A BLue screen crash is not a rare occurence either.
Long story short - im going to buy a new copy.
Can anyone source Win2k Pro OEM for less than £64 + vat? If so, please show me where from! Also is OEM a good option?

Second question - Is it an option to change my current HDD to a slave drive (it has 3 partitions), and then buy a new hard drive to put the operating system on that?

Im thinking that I will be able to install everything onto the new drive, but then take things like patch files, addons, saved variables etc from the old drive and put them in the appropriate folders.

Is this viable, or am i talking crap again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:25 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Why do you want windows 2000? It's unsupported so you may well end up with stuff not running on it and being a pain for drivers etc, though a lot of XP drivers work on 2k. I can only find XP and Vista to buy :?

As for the second HDD idea it will work fine. I always have multiple partitions for my PCs, the C:\ partition only ever has the OS on it, all my games, downloads and other apps are in seperate partitions so when I do re-install windows all I lose is the OS and my links, sometimes I have to re-install the occassional app but a lot of the time they still work so all I do is create a new shortcut.

Never had the WGA issue myself but maybe they changed something since my last XP install as I swiped a legit serial from somewhere :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:17 pm 
MothaFuka

oops that was a mistake - i did mean XP Pro

and thanks for the re-assurance. I think i can pick up a smallish HDD for about £25, so the whole solution will be less than a 100. Not too bad i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

Warning: thread hijacker! I also have partitioned drives and want to keep just the OS to itself. Is there anyway to set your My Documents folder to be somewhere else other than the drive the OS is on? Otherwise I will fill it up with Moosic, pictures, movies and such like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:53 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Yee, it's a piece of piss.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_ ... uments.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:06 am 
Dirty Daoc Player

Cheers Beansor.