Wireless routers

Post subject: Wireless routers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I've just been told that to get a wireless modem/router from the cable people will cost an extra $99 so I thought fuck that I'll buy my own and at least get a half decent one. I now see 802.11n, now I only have a 802.11g card and know it's not worth upgrading that right away but would it be worth getting the n for future use or is the standard still changing so fast that by the time I get a new card it'll be on 802.11zxTurbo pro and I'll be stuck with a shitty router?

I think I've just answered my own question :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:51 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Considering :This and this

The first one appeals due to the increased range, though the wireless over here seems a shitload stronger than back in the uk. I also like the blue thing in the middle of it :oops: But the second one seems to have a better firewall though I know very little about firewalls. Definately going for one of those 2 as I like Netgear. Any one see any reason why one of them is shite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Fuck I'm too impatient, I went with the first one as I figured the range thing would annoy me if it wasn't good enough and doubt anyone would try to hack in to my network around here. Thanks for the advice I would've got if I wasn't so impatient :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:51 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Heh

I use a wireless router at my place, trouble is the connection keeps dropping on me so I resorted to homeplug, ("Internet over your electricity wires!!!"), which, tho expensive, works well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:04 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

The wireless connection or the actual net connection? My sister kept complaining about them losing connection to the router in their house when I lived there where as I was plugged in to it and was fine, their PC was downstairs though and the signal was always weak, made me think wireless was an utter joke until I got here and had no choice but to use it, got a perfect signal with no antenna on one PC despite the router being in the other side of the house :?

I doubt we'd be able to get anything like homeplug here, buggers wouldn't even turn our electricity on on Friday just because it was past 2pm (2.20pm to be precise) and we had to wait until Monday despite paying them $150 connection fee, took the real shine off signing the contracts that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:45 pm 
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt

N series seems to be the way to go for pure speed.

Looking to upgrade my network to N soon, meant to be the nuts for streaming media n stuff.

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:51 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

My network is only mine and Tessa's PCs at the moment, until I get another PC or server (which is a fairly low priority and I'd probably get told off for even considering it) we won't really transfer anything across it. Plus I really am too cheap to replace the network card I bought 6 months ago :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:02 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

Beans wrote:
My network is only mine and Tessa's PCs at the moment, until I get another PC or server (which is a fairly low priority and I'd probably get told off for even considering it) we won't really transfer anything across it. Plus I really am too cheap to replace the network card I bought 6 months ago :P

Haha best you buy within the next 6 months coz after that....

I have the WPN824. On the plus side: No issues with any games being blocked. Interface is simple. On the down side: The blue light gets annoying after 7 seconds, which is why they give you a plastic cap to go over it. I have seen in a performance chart (that I am too lazy to find again) that this MIMO router isn't the best for throughput but that probably only applicable to local streaming rather than internet operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:19 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Well the router will be next to Tessa's PC so the lights won't effect me in my office :P

Post subject: Re: Wireless routers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:36 pm 
Clanger!

Beans wrote:
I've just been told that to get a wireless modem/router from the cable people will cost an extra $99

That's like €0.75 innit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:49 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I dunno, I class Monopoly money as being more real than the Euro, it certainly looks more authentic :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Have you had any issues with the wireless connection Sift? Ended up having to have the router in my office as the cable was supposedly "crappy" according to the installer. Now got Tessa complaining that she can't watch any shows online due to it buffering all the time. The connection says low so I've ordered a RangeMax card to see if that will make any difference to it or not though reading the reviews of the card I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:04 pm 
Clanger!

It's likely to be a clientside issue rather then an issue with the router.

What type of card are you using in the desktop, and is there a lot of metal between the router and Tessa?

Wireless antennas on desktops usually suck, should be a lot better with a laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

We're currently using a PCI Linksys Wireless G Speedbooster card, which you probably only get the benefit of it if you have a Linksys Speedbooster Router too, similar to the RangeMax thing Netgear have. Not too sure if there's any metal in the way as although it's several rooms away the walls are wood I think. I think I had a similar issue when I had the card in my machine but didn't think anything of it, I just paused the videos and let it buffer but apparently pregnant women aren't as patient as me :?

I know the router box has some nice diagrams of range and speed depending on the card you have so I'm guessing the Linksys one would come under the crappy standard G connection and the RangeMax one should take full advantage of the router, but as you say cards can be crappy, I probably should've got the USB version but I won;t find out if it works til the new card arrives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:07 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

Beans wrote:
Have you had any issues with the wireless connection Sift?

No problems here matey but then again I do not do a lot of streaming to my lappy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:01 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Bah the new card is just as shit as the other one, except the connection now says 108 MB rather than 36 MB the signal is still low, so much for my theory that the RangeMax stuff would be any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:33 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I bought a DLink DIR 635 the other week and it has much better signal strength than my previous KCorp router if that helps.

| ASBO Allstar | Gypo Jihad | EvilNeileeeee | Gnorty Rascal | Kylie Age 8 | PSIco | Huntcliff | Bruv #1 | Eyema GonnaTakeYouToAGheyBar |

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:04 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Well I've done nothing and the signal says very good so I'm just going to ignore it now :D In 6 months time Tessa won't have time for the internet anyways :P