(Help)

Post subject: (Help)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:18 am 
Sooooooooooooooooooopaman !!!

Not sure if anyone can be of assistance but I would think that some of you guys are geeky (I mean sexy) enough to maybe help out... No Macey I wont finger your balloon knot

I have recently inherited the role of administrating the network at my company, I have been given zero training to date and as such find the whole think a big pile of shit.

My company did not take up a service agreement option when they got the server back in January and seem content to let the thing die before they respond to any problems with it.

Anyway I will get to my problems and if anyone has a clue that is not going to take them more that 2 seconds to explain to me I would appreciate the help. I would also appreciate anyones thoughts on what I should be looking at being educated/trained in.

Issue one

For some reason only since last week certain machines get a massive delay when clicking on files to open them, it does not matter whether they are on their desktop or not. If they open the program up and then point to the file it opens straight away. Obviously this is a pain in the shitter having to locate every file through a program. This is starting to appear on a lot more machines, I have run the usually virus scans and stuff and everything is clean.

Issue two

Two machines on the network keep getting locked out, when I log on as administrator the only thing I can see that is wrong is a problem with the group the computer should be apart of, instead of it showing as domain\users it has a ? mark and lots of numbers. The only solution I have been able to come up with is to remove and rejoin the computer from the domain. Again this is a pain in the arse.

version of server in case that matters.
Windows Server 2003 R2

Cheers for any help in advance

Your faithful Geordie friend

Stephen.

Post subject: Re: (Help)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm 
Clanger!

Calaen wrote:
Issue one

For some reason only since last week certain machines get a massive delay when clicking on files to open them, it does not matter whether they are on their desktop or not. If they open the program up and then point to the file it opens straight away. Obviously this is a pain in the shitter having to locate every file through a program. This is starting to appear on a lot more machines, I have run the usually virus scans and stuff and everything is clean.

Do these links refer to files on the network or the local computer?

Have you checked latency between the workstations and the server (i.e. ping -t <server>)?

Calaen wrote:
Issue two

Two machines on the network keep getting locked out, when I log on as administrator the only thing I can see that is wrong is a problem with the group the computer should be apart of, instead of it showing as domain\users it has a ? mark and lots of numbers. The only solution I have been able to come up with is to remove and rejoin the computer from the domain. Again this is a pain in the arse.

The question mark and numbers mean that the machine accounts aren't known in AD anymore, fastest way to resolve this is rejoin them to the domain.

I could go on but that'd take more then 2 seconds ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I suggest a large hammer and a big ginger geordie swing!

When are you getting the intraweb at home btw? We miss your subtle sounds.

Post subject: Re: (Help)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:37 pm 

KuifJe wrote:
Issue one

For some reason only since last week certain machines get a massive

Do these links refer to files on the network or the local computer?

Have you checked latency between the workstations and the server (i.e. ping -t <server>)?

It does no matter if the files are stored locally or on the file server, opening them up via the program works fine, double clicking on the file does not work.

when pinging the server everything is <1ms

KuifJe wrote:
The question mark and numbers mean that the machine accounts aren't known in AD anymore, fastest way to resolve this is rejoin them to the domain.

I could go on but that'd take more then 2 seconds ;-)

Is there a reason to explain why this would suddenly start happening to only two machines on the domain? Pretty much everytime they come to log on I have to unjoin then join them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:38 pm 

macey wrote:
I suggest a large hammer and a big ginger geordie swing!

When are you getting the intraweb at home btw? We miss your subtle sounds.

Very soon dude I am taking the pricing home to the wife tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Probably stating the obvious but if there is no delay opening the file after you start the app that opens the file the issue is the app has slowed down.As it wasn't issue before need to see whats been changed on system since was last working ie are you running low on system resource ram , hdd etc or has app been patched or updated. There are I am sure ways to look at what the server is doing and in what sort of time frame ( our more geeky people will suggest what )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

Lazy bast. Get some googling skills. Hope these help:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/776 ... plications

http://silentjstudios.com/slowexplorerfix.html

http://www.allpostnews.co.uk/i5/Documen ... 20icon.php

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/19407.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 am 

Cheers Sifty unfortunately coming from Newcastle I was wording the search all wrong :p