Need Advice

Post subject: Need Advice
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:37 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

Hellooo gings long time no post =)
Im after a lill help im trying to get outta tesco's and hopefully into the IT world.
Ideally would like to get into networking (may never happen depending on what the jobs are out there in a couple of years time).

What i would like is to set up a home lab so i can get hands on xp and learn by doin as well as readin.

soo my question is does anyone no of any websites where i can pick up cheap gear? iv tryed google but 90% of the time the sites dont give me what i need or are overseas which is no good...
i no a few gings knockin about on here do sumthing to do with networking so im looking to you for help=)
and any other advice on getting started in the network world would be very much welcome =)

love Darky x X x

and i hope you are all well x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:30 pm 
Sooooooooooooooooooopaman !!!

No fooking idea mate, Goose would be the guy to speak to but he is currently on vacation, which is probably why you have not had a response from him yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Personally I'd look in to virtual stuff rather than buying hardware. It could save you a mint, though you're less likely to run in to random issues which could be a positive or negative if you're trying to learn it. VMware stuff has always been good for me though I know you can get some Cisco stuff to play with though I've never touched any of that. It depends on what kind of IT or networking you want to do. I was always under the impression that Cisco guys are rolling in cash but they always seemed a bit obsessed with switches for for my liking so I never went near it. Where as Windows based networking stuff is a doddle.