Server advice

Post subject: Server advice
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:04 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I'm looking at getting a server for work and don't really have time to arse around so am looking at a kit for it. I've given up trying to convince the boss we should get something decent as he always says that's something we can do in the future but not yet. Anywho I saw http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... 93-_-Combo and thought it looks ok, better than what we have at the moment anyways. My only concern is that it only has a 350W PSU, now that seems tiny but I guess as it won't be running a fancy graphics card or any DVD drives once it's got everything installed it could be alright. Obviously I'd need to get another hard drive to mirror it but was wanting a second opinion on it in case I'm missing something drastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:24 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

HD speed isn't great which might cause issues.

Other than that the PSU is an issue. I'd be looking for a redundant psu too tbh.

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Yeah we currently have faster drives but the boss has stupidly started having us storing people's documents, emails etc etc so we have to get much bigger drives. I guess I'll have to do it the proper way and buy the individual bits once I've done all my other work.

I'd love to get him to buy a HP Proliant server as those were the ones I had in my old job. Hot swappable drives and PSUs made life a lot easier not to mention management software. Our current servers are glorified PCs as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 pm 
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt

I agree with goose . youd really wanna get a redundant psu in there ..

Im also not sure about the choice of running a mirrored pair. I just remember the mirrored pair being an utter ball ache getting the damn thing to re mirror if the disk failed. May be better now i dunno.

Get him to push the boat out and get the HP units hot plug drives, fans and psus are allways a bonus.

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Alas the drive configuration is just the way they've always done it. We have had a couple of drive failures since I've worked here and the replacement drives have re-mirrored without any problems though it's still not as easy as pulling the bad drive out and chucking the new one in whilst the server is still running.

I think I'll take another look at HP stuff, I remember being able to power on the machines remotely which would be handy considering the people that host our servers only work 9-5 Monday to Friday and have frequent power outages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 pm 

yeh the ILO port .. as longs as its connected :)

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.