I own neither but think the PS3 is the best choice. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I don't fit the above options but would go for XBOX. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't fit the above options but would go for PS3. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

PS3 or XBOX?

Post subject: PS3 or XBOX?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:46 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

I thought I'd invest in a console to entertain the kids now and again. So which is better XBOX or PS3?

Pros and Cons anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I own a Wii and think a PS3 is the best choice :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:32 pm 
Clanger!

I own an XBOX and think every console is a waste of space and money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:48 pm 
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt

I have both an Xbox and PS3..

In my opinion id go PS3 everytime for one major reason .. With kids the online aspect of a game is key to their enjoyment, playing with mates and pwning noobs is what they do.. Hell is what we do/did so know how much fun that is .. The Xbox requires you to subscribe to Live Gold to be able to enjoy the online gaming content, Where as the PS3 online game play is free and non gratis. Also the PS3 has good web surfing and online tv/movie streaming (BBC Iplayer, 4OD, ITV Player. Mumbai movies and ILoveFilms) The xbox has the ability to run skygo/anytime (same as PC content)but again requires a gold membership to do so, i already pay for sky why the hell am i going to pay again so i can see the same stuff on the xbox.
Despite the new update to the PS3 blocking the ability to view some "downloaded" films a lot still work and some are now out that circumvent this anyway.
Oh and its also a Blueray player.

So in short youd be a mug not to get a PS3..

Only thing i like about the 360 is the controller.

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:24 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I have a ps3, its used essentially to stream the Iplayer in 1080 HD and to play blu rays.

Dont use it much for gaming since ff13 was so disappointing.

Games like Little Big Planet would be good for youngsters though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

Cheers for the responses. Very useful. I had a chat with aq guy at work who mentions that the Xbox Kinetic functionality is really good and possibly might be more fun for the kids (especially the ones with hands too small for controllers). Still thinking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:00 pm 

I know of 2 or 3 people that got Xbox Kinetic for their kids and ended up getting rid of it for various reasons. Boredom , Its actually a bit shit among others. After getting rid they admitted it was a waste of money.

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 pm 
N.S.F.W.

My boy has an XBOX and he enjoys it, however it does cost to play online as Xui said. He's 15 and pays his own way out of his pocket money etc.
I was tempted to get him a PS3 but he'd played his mates XBOX and wanted that.
Personally I'd go with the PS3 for all the reasons Xui said, also if it's in the kids room it means they can watch Blurays in there.

You rawk Gynggyr :D You're undoubtedly my favourite welsh c*nt.
I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:10 pm 
MothaFuka

Im reading this with interest. Possibly going to go for a console rather than upgrading the PC.

I had always considered that I would get an xbox, but reading here im thinking PS3.

I also spoke to the guys in my office and they all have PS3 and give similar reasons to those above.

The next thing to ask is.... which PS3 to go for.

Are there any pitfalls to be aware of? different models/types etc.

I am told that the 'old' ones had more usb slots, SD card slots etc, but i dont want to get an old one really.

Is the 320GB slim the best one? Is the extra capacity worth the extra cash over the 160GB?

Im a complete console virgin (ignoring my wii) so i dont really know what kind of stuff gets stored on them. Can the drives be removed/upgraded?

TIA :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 pm 

Gyngrr we have a 360 in the kids room and it never gets used much. Only really when they get banned from the PS3 as punishment. :)

Maui when buying a PS3 the last thing to consider is disk space.. Seriously dont even think about it. The main reason being you can slip your own slim line sata drive in later and its dead easy to do. My PS3 now has a 1TB drive in (maybe a bit overkill tbh)

Im not 100% sure but the newer model of slim may have PS2 backwards compatability, something to ask for if it really matters to you.

If backwards compatable isnt for you then just get the cheapest PS3 bundle with the smallest drive space that suits your needs and buy a new drive later down the line.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6176090 ... hard-drive

I used an external 500gb usb drive to back the original drive up when i swapped mine over.

If youre interested mines an original release big size PS3 that had a 60gb drive in it. 4 usb ports, but we only really use 2. 1 to charge a controller and the other for an external usb drive to access films and music on and ive never used the sd slot.

Akemi wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:39 pm 
MothaFuka

Thanks Xui, its good to know.

I did some searching around and found i can get a 160GB console + new 640GB drive for the same price as the 320GB console!!

I did find a bundle with battlefield 3 and the larger model. Strangely it was cheaper than the larger model without the game?!?!

Problem is, I havew spoken to 3 of my friends who all have xboxs, and it might boil down to getting what my mates have got, because i want to play games online with them.

I went from being so close to ordering a ps3, to not knowing which to get again :s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 am 
MothaFuka

by the way, sorry for hijacking your thread sifty :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

It's all good info mate :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 pm 
MothaFuka

ordered an xbox today!

Way to ignore advice :D

As i said though, it all boiled down to getting what my mates have got. I got a few replies from them saying to get an xbox, and that swung it. I was undecided and easily swayed. At the end of the day i think the arguments for both are quite balanced. Im crap at makign decisions so like a sheep i do what my mates have done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm 
Ginger Quiff with Crimson Low Lights

I've got a PS3, got it when it came out for the reasons stated. But I will also say that if you have a lotta mates with xboxes there's no harm in getting one, since trading or borrowing games from them can save money, if you really like the game get a copy and maybe you can system link with them for some 2 player action.

Ultimately it comes down to whether you want just a games console, or an overall entertainment console that plays games too.

WoW (Bloodhoof) - Pogmahone 70 Priest, Pogmashon 70 Shaman
EQ1 (Cazic Thule) - Pohok 67 Shadowkinght
Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone
Secret World (Grim) - Shannon "Glaeva" Feng QL5 (Dragon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I think it's down to Maui clinging on to the hope that his wife will allow him to play online games with his friends rather than him being totally whipped. I'd like him to report back in 6 months time as to how much online time he's got to spend with his friends. I expect the wife to let it fly for the first month or so before she starts the complaining and guilt trips about not spending any time with his family blah blah blah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:51 pm 
N.S.F.W.

MauiWaui wrote:
ordered an xbox today!

Way to ignore advice :D

lol

You rawk Gynggyr :D You're undoubtedly my favourite welsh c*nt.
I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:29 pm 
MothaFuka

Beans wrote:
I think it's down to Maui clinging on to the hope that his wife will allow him to play online games with his friends rather than him being totally whipped. I'd like him to report back in 6 months time as to how much online time he's got to spend with his friends. I expect the wife to let it fly for the first month or so before she starts the complaining and guilt trips about not spending any time with his family blah blah blah.

I will do my best to remember a status report.
Looking into getting sky installed upstairs so you never know, i might get to play most evenings....

Realistically though, im whipped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

MauiWaui wrote:
I will do my best to remember a status report.
Looking into getting sky installed upstairs so you never know, i might get to play most evenings....

Realistically though, im whipped

Could be worse. At least yours is just the wife, my 3 year old thinks he's in charge of anything that can play music, videos or games. Between him and the wife I don't even try to play games or keep up with TV shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

BTw... Sainsburys have an offer on for shit 4GB (easily upgraded) Xbox and Kinetic for £185ish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 pm 

Cant believe you faggots went for the Xbox tbfh :shock:

Akemi wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Xui wrote:
Cant believe you faggots went for the Xbox tbfh :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:04 pm 
Dirty Daoc Player

I haven't bought yet but am steering towards Xbox for the same reason as Maui. A few of the team at work have them and as there have been suggestions of resolving performance bonus disputes via COD, I'm probably headed that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:16 am 

:roll:

Akemi wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:35 pm 
MothaFuka

I have mine, but the Mrs says as its for Christmas im not allowed to play it yet!
Did i say whipped?

actually yes, i did didnt i?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Have you exhausted all arguments to get it now? One obvious one being that you think Christmas should be about spending time with your wife and daughter not playing games so it's probably best you get it out the way now so as to not spoil Christmas. You could also argue that your friends are the reason you bought the console and they won't be online at Christmas as they'll be with their families etc so you won't enjoy it as much. Obviously don't use both arguments as she'd have you by the nads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:16 pm 
MothaFuka

Beans wrote:

How right you were! After an initial spat of playing Skyrim with the xbox set up next to my PC (effectively hidden from my son) I must say I very rarely play anything on it these days - let alone online gaming!
I dont think its because the wife wouldnt like me doing it, but the xbox now resides underneath our new TV, and as such is in the domain of my son...

Beans wrote:
Could be worse. At least yours is just the wife, my 3 year old thinks he's in charge of anything that can play music, videos or games. Between him and the wife I don't even try to play games or keep up with TV shows.

This is exactly the same for me!

We have netflix on the xbox, and our son loves it. I would say its been worth the money just for that. There's some good shows on there that we have enjoyed too - Breaking Bad is currently a fave! Plus its good to know its there if i ever fancy taking the wrapper off the BF3 i bought myself!

If its in the front room then I have to convince the wife that she would rather watch me playing on it than watch tv of an evening. This isnt going to happen. Could do with another one upstairs.... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:38 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Our TV is constantly streaming Netflix too but at $9 a month compared to $100+ for cable it's a bargain. I started watching Breaking Bad myself as Netflix kept telling me to, quite enjoyed the first season then I sort of lost steam midway through season 2 but managed to watch it all. I've only watched episode 1 of season 3, I think my problem is Skylar, I think she's a miserable shit and sucks my enjoyment out of the show. The weird thing is I didn't know what Breaking Bad was so whenever I saw a picture of Walt I thought it was Gordon Freeman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:42 pm 
MothaFuka

Haha I know what you mean - I actually looked up a picture of Gordon to show the Mrs how alike they were! Hes the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle isnt he? By the way, is series 3 Skylar finds out about the cooking, wants a divorce, and shags her boss :) All in the first few episodes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I haven't got to the shagging bit but the rest sounds right. And yes he's the dad from Malcolm in the Middle. I'm beginning to wonder if the saggy old man underwear is his rather than something to do with the costume department.