Done and dusted

Post subject: Done and dusted
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:49 pm 
N.S.F.W.

Got this email today
Quote:
Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

Not a huge surprise really with the new one on it's way.

You rawk Gynggyr :D You're undoubtedly my favourite welsh c*nt.
I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:32 am 
Ginger Quiff with Crimson Low Lights

Wow, and I thought SWG would never die...

it's a shame really, cos the new one will be nothing like SWG but I doubt it will be able to compete knowing that most of it's sub base is just waiting for SWTOR to release.

WoW (Bloodhoof) - Pogmahone 70 Priest, Pogmashon 70 Shaman
EQ1 (Cazic Thule) - Pohok 67 Shadowkinght
Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone
Secret World (Grim) - Shannon "Glaeva" Feng QL5 (Dragon)

Last edited by Pog on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 am 

A quote pulled from SWTOR forums that made me laugh

Quote:
I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousands of hairdressers and moisture farmers suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 am 

IMPORTANT DATES
June 24, 2011

12, 6 and 3-month subscription packs turned off
TCG store closes

Sept. 15, 2011

SWG MMO and Trading Card Game no longer available for sale or subscription
No new or reactivated accounts accepted after this date

Oct. 15, 2011

Billing turned off
Free game trials begin

Dec. 15, 2011

Star Wars Galaxies service ends

Dec. 31, 2011

Free game trials end

THE FINE DETAILS:

Discontinuation of Services:
As of September 15, 2011, the SWG MMO and Trading Card Game will no longer be available for sale or subscription at both retail and all online digital retailers. All billing for active subscribers with accounts in good standing, except for Station Access subscribers, will end on October 15, 2011.

If you are an active subscriber in good standing as of September 15, 2011, then you can play for free for the final months. Players wishing to play through the end of the game and participate in the galaxy-ending event planned for the last week of live service in December will need to re-activate or join the game on or before September 15th. No new or reactivated accounts will be accepted after September 15, 2011.

As of today, June 24, 2011, we are discontinuing the 12, 6, and 3-month subscription plans, meaning these subscription options will no longer be offered for newly created SWG accounts. SWG subscribers who have prepaid six (6) or twelve (12)-month game time plans that extend their subscription period past October 15, 2011 will receive a pro-rated refund for any such pre-paid excess subscription payments*. Such refunds are expected to be issued within 90-days after the game ends.

In addition, we will be discontinuing the sale of all Star War Galaxies™ Trading Card Game (TCG) digital card packs as of today, June 24, 2011. Loot cards will not be redeemable in the SWG MMO after September 15, 2011. The TCG will continue to operate until the final service closure on December 15, 2011.

Galaxy-Ending Event – Be Part of this Historic Event
During the last week that SWG is available, we're inviting the community to participate in a galaxy-ending event. We're going to end with a bang and we want the final chapter of the galaxy to be written in part by the dedicated and passionate SWG community. Details will be announced at a later date.

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 am 
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/playerinfo/

This is indeed sad news tbh .. Despite it flaws and troubles i still realliy enjoy playing it.. Looks like im gonna end up playing EMU .. Although if im honest i reckon another company will end up buying the rights and possibly continuing from where it left off as a f2p. such as www.gamersfirst.com.

I will probably resub for the rest of the year, mainly as im having fun in a large guild atm and farstar is heavily populated.

The thing that will be missed the most is the housing and decorating side of the game. Nothing else comes anywhere close. Also the crafting system.

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Yeah saw it this morning... it blows. Quite unexpected, seeing how many people are back in the game. It really blows. Was back in the game and really enjoying it, was actually thinking about resubing both accounts rather than just one.
Now I won't resub at all, it feels so pointless to play, especially being a trader - many have slashed prices on items with 75% or more...

Damn you LA and SOE!

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:03 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IZaIA-o5BY

seems apt now :cry:

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:15 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Pointless, I know, but I admit to having signed this petition...
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveswg/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:43 pm 
N.S.F.W.

Pog wrote:
A quote pulled from SWTOR forums that made me laugh

Quote:
I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousands of hairdressers and moisture farmers suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Ha ha that's spot on. I must admit I loved SWG when it launched, yes there were issues but nothing unusual for a MMO. Then things changed dramatically and the love ebbed away. I'll miss my baby Rancor that I called Whelan.
Whelan
God Bless.

You rawk Gynggyr :D You're undoubtedly my favourite welsh c*nt.
I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:31 am 

SWG wasn't my first MMO, Everquest 1 was for 3.5 years prior, but it was and always will be one of my favorites. Like others I quit and returned regularly to play it. I know at times I hated it (or what was done to it) but I will grieve for it's passing.

It was one of the few unique games out there on the market, if it wasn't for Lucas I bet it would still run for years. Just a real shame they didn't listen to the player base back in 2005 before they wheeled out CU and then NGE. Players didn't want a flashy 1 button game, they just wanted the bugs ironed out & some new content to the one they loved. The community is what made the game, I doubt it'll be the same in SWTOR. Many die-hard SWG players are refusing to even consider playing it now :shock: Which is a shame because it will be a great game for it's own reasons.

That said, some of the highlights for me were;

- Seeing Mos Eisley, Jabba's place, Lar's moisture farm, Old Ben's hut, the crashed escape pod (R2 & 3PO's), Theed, Yoda's hut, Jedi temple and other famous locales for the first time in person.
- Meeeting my long term friends and guildies for the first time in the tusken fort
- Meeting Vader, Emperor, Luke, Leia, Han & Chewie, Boba Fett and other film stars in game
- Some of the banter in the hairdressing salon and playing music/dancing nights away in a cantina whilest I was an entertainer
- Becoming a TK Master
- Getting Sunriders Destiny Crystal - Luke's blade colour
- Killing Malichae the night before Combat Upgrade (collecting my padawan robes from the shrine as the servers were counting down to close!) to unlock jedi
- The first day of the Combat Upgrade, the huge hate, frustration, angst, and disgust that players displayed at it beign forced on them. I'll never forget that day, it's one of the most memorable days in my entire gaming history, for all the wrong reasons.
- Crafting my first Lightsaber and using it to kill a Womp Rat
- Mastering Jedi, and being a near unstopable force
- Jump To Lightspeed (still the best space flight sim i've ever played)
- Collecting and using various space ships, my favorite being the KSE Firespray (Boba Fett's ship)
- Taking a relaxing cruise in my space yacht
- Soloing Corvette, Necrois, Krayts, Geonosian bunker, Nightsisters and Dark Jedi Masters, (Space) Corvette and most of the other big creatures bosses/Jedi's/dungeons, that many people needed a group to do.
- Getting over 190 badges, and I remember what it took to get them all.
- Going back to tusken fort the first night of collections release and getting server first badge/title for brutally murdering Sand people... then going on to collect another half dozen server firsts, and over 50 collections.
- Collecting over 2000 unique items and trying to find a place in my house to display them all (and failing).
- Ranking up to General in Galactic Civil War, & getting the purple Windu's crystal for my lightsaber.
- Getting a Greeter that looks just like Vegas (Toydarion) :twisted:
- Meeting some of the most genuine, interesting and helpful people I've ever met in an MMO
- and finally - Poking my Wampa plushies tummy and it going "Wrrraaarrr!" every night before going to bed in my fully decorated guild sized house.

I will downlaod and play my free time, I may even sub until the game dies or SWTOR is released. Here's hoping another game like it comes along someday, without the trouble and strife that SWG had, but with the community and variety of creating a truly personal character that you chose what to do with.

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:24 am 

Gonna sort through and dig out some of the old sceenshots and post em here.

Just been and screen'd my bunker from all angles and every mount and pet i have.. If its all going id like to be able to remember it all ..

Akemi wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:14 pm 

Yeah, I'm gonna do that to, and a tour of spots/locs. One upside to being on a dead server is that there is nobody there when you go to get rememberance badge from leia, the downside is that you can walk around Spec forces all day long and not see an imp :evil:

I wonder it's my single toon on farstar thats stopping me from transfering, might log in tonight and ask you to hold a bag or 2 while I delete it from server.

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone