Crafting - Part 2 - Advanced shizz

Post subject: Crafting - Part 2 - Advanced shizz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:40 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Extensive Guide to Tradeskills (Advanced Version)

I have given much thought to this so I feel it's time for a more advanced guide for those that understand the basics of the first one I wrote. The first guide can be found here:

Extensive Guide to Tradeskills (for Everyone)

This guide uses all of the information present in the first guide listed above. So, if you have not read that one yet, I suggest strongly that you do. Once you are comfortable and understand things present there, you are more than welcome to continue further with this guide. This guide will cover experience gain, the crafting session, harvesting, interdependency, societies, and how to be successful.

Gaining Experience

The best way to make experience has sometimes been overlooked by many. With every recipe that you "discover" a new quality level for, you receive a discovery bonus to experience gained. Therefore, the fastest way to gain experience is to craft a "pristine" quality finish item for every "new" recipe you have received. Let's take a look at the Scholar line for level 11 for instance:

Scholar Volume 11 (Recipes)

Spells:

* Agitation
* Blaze
* Burning Radiance
* Chill
* Contagion
* Ego Shock
* Fascinate
* Nettleshield
* Radiant Strike
* Rebuke
* Tellurian Recruit
* Wailing Haze

Runes:

* Rune of Backstab
* Rune of Reconnoiter
* Rune of Rousing
* Rune of Shadow Blade
* Rune of Smuggle
* Rune of Sparkling Blade

Now then, when you craft items at your own level, if you make a "finish recipe" of "pristine" quality and discover it for the first time, you will receive approximately 8% experience gain. Using this in mind, if you were to make 13 or 14 new recipes at pristine level you will make a new level. This has worked for me at all levels thus far. Given this, you would only have to make one of each of the spells listed and two runes to accomplish this task. In addition, because each is singular and different, you will have more variety on your vendor when you go to sell them.

So, how can you maximize your potential here?

Well, with the scholar line, every rune and every spell requires the exact same components. Therefore, you can create a large stockpile of interim components necessary (say 120 of each type needed) and then feasibly gain 3 or 4 levels in another crafting session. So, spend one full crafting session creating all the necessary components needed, and then spend the next crafting session making all of the items and gain all of your major experience.

This same philosophy should work with other professions as well. The above, is only an example.

The Crafting Session

Okay, this is the part of this particular thread that I find most interesting. Crafting is not as simple as others first thought it would be. However, it's not meant to be. It's meant to be challenging and reactionary. Proactive crafting guarantees that you don't fall asleep and for those that do, you may not understand the system and how to interact with it successfully. So, let's try to help you out here.

The Basics

By now, you should understand the basic principles of crafting. The only items that affect quality level are primary ingredients. So, when should I make pristine quality and when should I not make pristine quality?

If an item gives multiple return ingredients on a higher quality level, even if it's "not a primary" ingredient, you should do pristine level for it. A great example would be Stroma Wash, Stroma Oil, Stroma Resin, and Eolith Tempers. These items are not primary ingredients in the recipe but each quality level affects how many items are created. Thus, you would get the following:

* 1 - Item : Crude Combine
* 2 - Items: Shaped Combine
* 3 - Items: Normal Combine
* 4 - Items: Pristine Combine

So, we would not want to do crude on ingredients like this. It would not be wise to gain 1 item from 1 resource when you can gain 4. So, the principle rule of thumb is if the item generates more than one item on creation, don't "dumb the item down" in quality level.

Dumbing the Item Down In Quality

So, what is Dumbing the Item Down in Quality mean? It means you didn't fail at making an item so that it returns a crude result. It means you forcibly chose the item to return a crude result. In otherwords, you are "wanting" to make an item become 'crude quality level". In this case, you are dumbing down the quality level.

So you may ask, why do this at all?

There are many reasons. First and foremost, many ingredients do not have to be pristine quality. Only the primary ingredients require that you have pristine quality in order to make the very best. Therefore, it isn't necessary. Secondly, it saves time by cutting the time in half for the entire tradeskill process. Thirdly, it uses much less power. Fourthly, it will allow you to save space by forcing a single specific stack type to be inventoried. Now then, let's look at how to properly dumb down an item.

1. Start the crafting process
2. Use Tier 1 Icons that boost progress and push them one, two, three - pushing each one only one time please.
3. As soon as the item reaches the crude quality level, hit the "stop" button.
4. Repeat.

This will create stacks of crude items that can be used in non-primary ingredient recipes. Further down in this section I will go into advanced topics on the durability, progress bars so for now don't worry about that.

Pristine or not to Pristine

So, when should you create a pristine quality item?

There are many factors here. First, where ingredients are concerned, you only need the primary ingredient of each part of the refine, interim, and finish recipes to be pristine quality in order to make a pristine quality item. However, for the "finish recipes", making a pristine item may net you lower attributes but higher resists. Sometimes, making a normal or shaped quality finish recipe nets you higher attributes and power and less resists. This means you may not want to make a pristine quality item unless you are going after particular results.

As stated in the basic section a few paragraphs above, if you are making multiple ingredient combines (oils, washes, tempers, resins) you should ALWAYS make pristine as this will give you 4 ingredients instead of 1 x quality tier. Read the basics above for more information.

Make sure you examine the recipe using the tip I placed in the first guide to see what the shaped quality level of the item will be. Make one pristine quality item to compare the results or check the EQ Items database on the EQ2 Players site to see what the values are. I've heard a lot of screaming by folks, including me when I make a pristine quality item and find out that I don't want the values listed. It is better to understand this beforehand, than waste your last few ingredients and come up short and want to bang your head on the wall.

Here are some examples:

Electrum Torque - AC (1 - 16)

* Crude: +1 Int, +1 Sta, +1 Str, +16 Cold, +5 Heat
* Shaped: +2 Int, +1 Str, +2 Health, +3 Power
* Normal: +1 Int, +1 Sta, +1 Str, +11 Cold, +11 Heat, +5 Poison
* Pristine: +3 Health, +3 Power, +1 Cold, +5 Heat, +11 Poison

As you can see by the following examples above, the item statistics are different at all levels.

Durability, Progress, and Power

NOTE: Before reading this section, keep the following in mind. The advanced reasoning is to get you more involved and proactive in crafting. This means it's meant to help you understand how to force durability and to force progress on your items as you craft. There are extreme subtle variances in power, success, progress, and durability within crafting. As such, it would take a much more elaborate and detailed guide to explain all of the nuances to you. While this section is designed to be advanced, it is not meant to be "expert". I do not follow my own advice within every portion of this guide, especially in this section. The reason being - I've advanced enough to know the subtle differences and when to use them. This is too difficult to teach in my opinion. What you should do is read all what is written here and practice it so that you get an advanced understanding of your own icons. Then, as you come to understand them, learn the subtle variances.

We discussed parts of this in the first guide but let's reiterate a few things here. The green bars on the top and in the quality tiers of the item being crafted is your durability. The blue bars on the top and in the quality tiers of the item being created is your progress. Your power bar is located under your health bar.

When you make an item, all three are very important. But, there are many things that should be noted here, especially for crude quality items. Some people believe that when the green durability bar reaches the end of the crude quality tier, that the recipe fails. No it does not. The only way the recipe fails is if your durability bar at the top of the creation menu reaches 0.

When the durability bar at crude level quality reaches 0 within the quality tier, it creates a brand new durability bar that is refreshed in full. Your top durability bar then takes a rather substantial hit. For instance, lets say your top durability bar is at 80% and your crude quality tier durability bar has just reached 0. Your top durability bar will take roughly a 20% hit and a new fully refreshed crude tier quality durability bar will be recreated. So, as you can see, it's really hard to fail an item completely.

Reaction Tradeskill Icons

Each reaction icon that you receive governs either durability or progress, and takes a certain amount of power to use. For Jewelers as an example, they are:

* Tier 1 (1-9th level) - Governs Progress only
* Tier 2 (10th - 19th level) - Governs Durability only
* Tier 3 (20th - 29th level) - Governs Progress only
* Tier 4 (30th - 39th level) - Governs Durability only
* Tier 5 (40th - 49th level) - Unknown

You only receive "new" icons for your new tier if it is something you are specializing in. So, using the scholar route, you only receive tier 2 icons for those that work with alchemy, runecraft, etc. but you wouldn't for woodworking, tailoring, etc. The same thing should be noted at level 20. You will receive Tier 3 icons for your specialty class only. For jeweler for instance, I only receive 3 new icons that pertain to runecraft.

So, you should keep hotbars neatly placed so that you can get to all of the icons you work with, even if they are on different tiers. Each of the icons cost power when used. If you examine the icon you will see how much power it costs when used. The type of benefit it gives is based on the tier quality of the icon itself and never changes. Those are listed above.

Advanced Crafting 1.0.3

I'm skipping two because three actually will give you all the information necessary to work with 10-19 crafting, only you are using two tiers. I'm going to teach you how to use three tiers of reaction icons for tradeskilling at one time.

So, is there a correct way to craft and an incorrect way to craft? I used to think the answer to this was no but I have since changed my opinion for the answer to this question. While there are varied styles, the principle of crafting still remains the same. What quality are you after and what are you most concerned about, power or time? Only you are going to know this but I'm going to show you the fundamental way to craft advanced items so that you never fail ever at what you decide to do.

Let's Line Up the Icons -

* | T3 Reaction Counter 1 | | T3 Reaction Counter 2 | | T3 Reaction Counter 3 |
* | T2 Reaction Counter 1 | | T2 Reaction Counter 2 | | T2 Reaction Counter 2 |
* | T1 Reaction Counter 1 | | T1 Reaction Counter 2 | | T1 Reaction Counter 3 |

And there we go. T1 = Tier 1, T2 = Tier 2, and T3 = Tier 3. So, pretend that these are buttons and are setup on the first three rows of your hotbar in this order. You can order these any way you choose but it's important to note that you should use all of these at sometime, so be sure to put them all up when you can.

When are we going to use Tier 1 icons?

We will use tier 1 when we are dumbing down quality level on items. We want to use progress only once and use the icons that have the least amount of power use. Tier 1 helps with that. We will also use Tier 1 on advanced recipes when we need to push progress and our power is very low and we can't use Tier 3 icons because of that. Power cost of each tier is greatly increased as you get higher level. Therefore, all lower tiers will have less power cost than advanced tiers.

When are we going to use Tier 2 icons?

When we need pristine items or quality and need to force durability into a reserve.

When are we going to use Tier 3 icons?

When we need pristine items or quality and need to force progress after durability has been put into reserve.

Note: Your icons may not be progress at tier 1, durability at tier 2, progress at tier 3. Therefore you may have to swap the order around in order to use them in the crafting tutorial below. The same principles apply though for those trying to understand durability, progress pools. Make sure you examine your icons to see what benefits they provide before setting up your crafting session.

Puting it Together - An advanced tutorial on Crafting

Okay we know about the icons, when to make pristine and when not to, and how to setup the icons accordingly. We also know which benefits what. Now let's put it to use in this example I'm about to give you. Remember, your style of crafting may differ from mine but the style I'm teaching now will never fail at creating a pristine item on any "even level' recipe you create.

Our example is to create a "widget". The widget is mighty and powerful and resembles any Tier 3 recipe you could create for your profession. The reason why I chose a widget is because it has a great name and because there's no such thing. Remember, this is an example and applies to all tier 3 recipes that need to be the bets quality. Now then, our widget looks like the following when you open up the recipe to craft:

(Chemistry Table)

Essence of Widget

Primary Component

* Widget Dust

Build Components

* Widget Suspension
* Widget Resin

Fuel Component

* Generic Candles

Now then, we need to make the Widget Dust "pristine quality". Unfortunately the level of this recipe, Essence of Widget is equal to our own level. This means it's going to be very tough to accomplish. You see, chance of durability failures increase on items that are closer to our level. The closer to our level, the more chance of durability failures and the larger the amount of durability is taken away. So, this one is going to be tough. But can we do it? Absolutely. Here's how.

Starting to Craft - How to Use Buffs

Upon crafting, you will receive what some crafters call as "ticks" or "pulses" or "waves". It doesn't matter what they are called so long as you understand what they are. For now, I will call them "ticks". A tick is basically a result that occurs every few seconds throughout the recipe creation. The results that occur through ticks are apparent in the forms of the following (using no buffs or reaction icons):

* Random Progress + Random Durability
* Reverse Progress + Large Durability (considered a tick failure)
* Large Progress + Little Durability (considered to be a tick progress)
* A reaction symbol shows up in the creation menu and needs to be countered

Each tick, or every few seconds one of the events above occurs. The ticks occur roughly every 4 seconds. In order to counter the difficulty of the recipe we must concentrate on building up durability and pushing along progress. For durability, we are going to start with Tier 2 icons and for progress, we are going to start with Tier 3 icons. If we get low, we use our best judgment and/or go to Tier 1 icons if we need progress.

Each recipe has a durability reserve that is invisible. If we can push the durability to the end of the right hand line, we push our durability into reserve. This is very important for difficult recipes and it is also difficult to do.

* Crafting Starts
* Count 3 seconds and push all of the Tier 2 icons - one, two, three.
* Wait for tick result. Hopefully durability has increased.
* Push all of the Tier 2 icons - one, two, three.
* Wait for tick result. Hopefully durability has increased.
* Push all of the Tier 2 icons - one, two,, three.
* Continue doing this until the durability bar gets to max and then do it two or three more times to push it in reserve.
* Swap to progress.
* Wait for tick result.
* Push all of the Tier 3 icons - one, two, three. Watch power.
* Wait for tick result. Progress is increasing now.
* Push all of the Tier 3 icons - one, two, three. Watch power.
* Wait for tick result. Progress is continuing now.
* etc...

Notes (these apply to quality durability/progress NOT the top two bars for durability/progress):

Always try to keep durability maxed or pooled in reserve on a difficult recipe. Use durability to build up a reserve and then use progress to finish the recipe as fast as you can. If you receive failures while you are pushing durability up, continue to fight it until you have the upper hand. It's all about timing. Buffing should occur right after tick results. If you buff too fast, the timing is thrown off and they do not register quickly enough. In addition, you have to use good judgment. You may find that failures are coming 6 in a row in the beginning and you won't have enough power to finish the recipe, even fighting durability. Therefore, if the recipe hasn't finished reaching the crude mark, hit stop so you only lose the fuel component.

You must consider that when I talk of tick results and durability and progress, I'm not speaking about the top durability/progress bars. I'm referring to the quality level progress/durability bars. The top bars are not what I'm speaking about.

The theory to good crafting is to make sure that you work with both durability and progress to maximize your time and your results. What I personally do is push durability beyond the bar and continue forcing durability even after it's maxed. Then, I start with progress and each time I receive a failure, it pulls out of the durability reserve so that the durability bar remains maxed. Eventually the reserve will disappear and you will have to stop with progress and push it back up some more. However, most recipes that I need pristine on, I can almost end up with a completely full durability bar in the quality areas of the recipe by the time I finish.

Another mentionable is that some of the icons you will be pushing have almost 0 power cost and are what I call "fillers". Fillers don't generally push progress or durability up greatly when used by themselves but they keep one or the other (depending on which one you are using) at bay while you gain more power. In addition, it is always important to use fillers and food and drink to optimize power while crafting. Food and Drink increase power recovery regeneration and will help you out greatly. As to which filler buttons you need to use, simply monitor your power as you use the icons. You will soon learn which use more power and which use less.

Harvesting

* Tier 1 (Found on the Isle of Refuge, newbie starting areas in Qeynos (peat bog, forest ruins), outside areas (oakmyst forest, caves), Freeport (need info).
* Tier 2 (Found in Antonica / Commonlands)
* Tier 3 (Found in Thundering Steppes / Nektulus Forest(?))
* Tier 4 (Found in Enchanted Lands)
* Tier 5 (Found in Lavastorm)

A good chart of all of the inorganics/organics/hides/etc. can be found at EQ2 Artisan.

The advanced fundamentals of harvesting is to harvest everything. Nodes propagate in any form. If you leave nodes behind just because you can't use them, you don't allow for nodes that you can use to form. This is a huge mistake some folks do out there in the wilds and it drives many of us advanced artisans crazy when we see a dozen shrubs laying about in a part of the deserted world. Harvest those shrubs and then delete them after you've harvested half a dozen if you don't need the materials. If you know other people that can use the materials then save them and give them to them.

So you want to get that rock near those level 30 scarecrows but you are only level 10? Use slide and glide tactics. Hold down your right mouse button and look around with it, and at the same time slide using left and right arrow keys (also called strafing). Keep your view directed at the mobs and slide around them at all times. This way you can't be surprised when you are off harvesting.

Populated Nodes are cross-linked

I can now confirm that when you de-populate a node area, it populates the linked area. This was probably taken from Horizons but it's a good thing, IMHO. If you de-populate an entire noded area, you can bet that the next area which is not too far away is now full. If, both areas are being harvested at the same time then a wait timer is placed on those nodes to re-populate. However, I'm not going to share the locs of the linked areas with you because I feel that written information on this would disturb the way things are meant to be. Some of you may have already found them and if you have kudos to you. If you haven't, you will eventually. If I wrote them down here, they would be camped and I don't want that to occur. This is merely information for you to find out for yourself.

Finding Rare Resources

Rare resources are generally found "rarely" within a common resource as you harvest. One of the exceptions to this rule are undead bones which are found in Tier 2 and can be found from a small bone-like pile. I have personally found this. Otherwise, look at the chart at the link I provided and you will find a full list of rares that drop in the various tiers. Rare resources are used with the rare books to form rare components used in rare "finish" recipes.

I have found one rare out of every three full days of harvesting. This should give you an idea of how quickly you may find one.

Interdependencies

Note: At the current time of this article, there is a known bug with being able to scribe tier 2, volume 10 books for outfitter, craftsman, and scholar. Even though you may have scribed them, the developers feel this was an error and will correct it eventually. This is per Moorgard.

The game was designed so that artisans would be interdependent on one another. You will find that interdependency starts at level 10 and becomes even more apparent at level 20. After level 20, interdependency is very difficult to become adjusted and familiar with. You need to make new contacts, watch the boards closely for materials you need (hawking), and make the best trades possible. So, who is needed the most and who needs who?

Craftsman: Scholars and Outfitters need them.

* Scholars need them for quills
* Scholars need them for paper
* Outfitters need them for Generic Burlap Paterns
* Outfitters need them for Maple Staves

Outfitters: Craftsman, Scholars need them.

* Craftsman need them for Burlap Cloth, Burlap Padding, Iron Spike, Iron Sheet, Tanned Cord, Tanned HIlt, Tanned Leather, and Tanned Strap
* Scholars need them for Iron Spikes, Iron Sheets

Scholars: Craftsman and Outfitters need them.

* Craftsman need them for Electrum Ornament, Faceted Turquoise, Iron Gaul Dye, Iron Hook, Iron Strut, Iron Stud, Stroma Oil, Stroma Resin, Stroma Wash
* Outfitters need them for resins and washes, iron chains.

Alchemists: All Professions Need Them.

NOTE: Try to be proactive with Alchemists in the form of harvesting. Help them and inturn most will help you. As per this writing, alchemists have been offering to return 2 components for every 1 resource given to them. This may change on a per person basis as Alchemists cannot be forced to abide by such strict parameters. However, if you are an alchemist, this is a great way for you to get extra ingredients for yourself in order to sell, use, etc.

* Armorers need them for Tempers.
* Carpenters need them for Neolith Temper, Thylakoid Oil, Thylakoid Resin, Thylakoid Wash,
* Jewelers need them for Thylakoid Oil, Neolith Temper, Thylakoid Resin, Thylakoid Wash, and Loam.
* Woodworkers need them for Thylakoid Oil, Thylakoid Resin, and Thylakoid Wash.
* Sages need them for inks.

Armorers: Woodworkers need them.

* Woodworkers need them for Sheets (Carbonite Sheets)

Jewelers: Alchemists, Armorers, Sages, Tailors, and Woodworkers need them.

* Alchemists need Jewelers for Glass and Advanced Poison Vials.
* Armorers need them for Studs (Carbonite Studs)
* Woodworkers need them for Struts, Shods, and Studs (Carbonite Struts, Carbonite Shods, Carbonite Studs)
* Sages need them for Thread (Canvas Thread)
* Tailors need them for Buckles (Carbonite Buckles)

Sages: Tailors, Armorers need them.

* Tailors need them for Patterns (Generic Canvas Patterns)
* Armorers need them for Patterns (Generic Canvas Patterns).

Tailors: Sages, Armorers, Woodworkers need them.

* Sages need them for thread (Canvas Thread)
* Armorers need them for Padding, Harnesses (Canvas Padding, Boiled Leather Harnesses)
* Woodworkers need them for Stretches of Leather, Straps, Cords (Stretches of Canvas Leather, Canvas Straps, Canvas Cords)

Weaponsmiths: Woodworkers need them.

* Woodworkers need them for Hilts and Spikes (Carbonite Hilts, Carbonite Spikes)
* Carpenters need them for Spikes (Carbonite Spikes)

Woodworkers: Sages need them.

* Sages need them for Quills
* Sages need them for Paper

Other professions: As more information is handed to me, I will update the list more appropriately so everyone can find who needs what. If you are an advanced profession, please let me know what you need and from who you need to get them from.

Societies

I'm going to stress this as clearly as I can. It is my belief that the advanced specialist trade skill societies are the ones that hold the higher tier ingredients needed for Tier 3, Tier 4, and Tier 5. Wholesale societies were always geared towards lower tiers (1 mainly) and possibly even tier 2. However, in order to see the more advanced components, the societies must level. People should keep in mind that it is very important to help and level your advanced trade skill society up as quickly as possible. It will help you get to those components that could help alleviate the stress burdened on the shoulders of Alchemists.

How to level a society

Do quests, more quests, and even more quests. The entire leveling scenario presented for Societies to function is very similar to Guild Status Points and the way they function. The more quests a person performs, the more personal status they earn and the more status the society earns. When you open up the society window from EQ II button > Societies, you will see at the top how close your society is to gaining a level. Currently, I see more than 1000 in the wholesale societies (all leveling it as quickly as possible) and yet less than 30 or so in the specialist societies.

At the time of this writing, there is a bug that basically only allows you to join one society but this should be fixed soon. If you are over level 10, I recommend that you start leveling the specialist trading society as soon as possible. The quests for these societies are much harder to do. After you reach 20th level it will be close to impossible to level the society because very few people will want to waste precious resources on low returns. Therefore, the best way to level a society is to receive the main support from folks in the level range of 10 - 19. If you are 10-19 and you aren't leveling the specialist trade skill society, you are hurting the society.

What components are offered at each level of the Society?

Wholesale Societies (confirm if any ingredients are in the wrong location please)

* Level 1:
o Please look over Level 4 and deduce which ingredients are different from the ones in your current wholesaler at level 1. If any do not show up from the list below, promptly reply to the post and let me know so that I can iron out from the list. Currently, this is the list that I have to go by.
* Level 2:
o Please look over Level 4 and deduce which ingredients are different from the ones in your current wholesaler at level 2. If any do not show up from the list below, promptly reply to the post and let me know so that I can iron out from the list. Currently, this is the list that I have to go by.
* Level 3:
o Please look over Level 4 and deduce which ingredients are different from the ones in your current wholesaler at level 3. If any do not show up from the list below, promptly reply to the post and let me know so that I can iron out from the list. Currently, this is the list that I have to go by.
* Level 4:
o Artisan Essentials Volumes (3-9)
o All Fuel Types (Candle, Coal, Fillament, Incense, Sandpaper - | 6c |)
o Aerated Mineral Water (6c), Baked Flounder (36c), Basil (36c), Black Coffee (36c), Bread (36c), Candied Jumjum (36c), Celestial Solution (5s, 76c), Celestial Suspension (5s, 76c), Chocolate Bar (36c), Cocoa (18c), Cream (6c), Deer Steak (36c), Diluted Solution (36c), Distilled Water (18c), Dough (36c), Egg (6c), Flour (6c), Fudge (36c), Larent Solution (1s, 44c), Larent Suspension (1s, 44c), Milk (6c), Nutmeg (36c), Packet of Spice (36c), Pasta (36c), Pepper (6c), Roasted Cabbage (36c), Salt (6c), Shaped Chloro Resin (12c), Shaped Chloro Wash (11c), Shaped Elm Lumber (18c), Shaped Fossil Temper (6c), Shaped Isonoid Reagent (18c), Shaped Lead Bar (18c), Shaped Malachite Gem (18c), Shaped Pressed Papeterie (18c), Shaped Stretch of Rawhide Leather (18c), Shaped Threadbare Yarn (18c), Shaped Tin Bar (18c), Shaped Vial of Chloro Oil (12c), Sugar (6c), Sunfish Steak (36c), Suspension (36c), Turtle Steak (36c), White Tea (36c), Yeast (6c)
o Mediocre Birchroot Oil (12c), Mediocre Birchroot Resin (12c), Mediocre Birchroot Wash (12c), Mediocre Birchwood Compound (12c), Mediocre Birchwood Emulsion (12c)
o Mediocre Chloro Compound (18c), Mediocre Chloro Emulsion (18c), Mediocre Chloro Mixture (18c), Mediocre Chloro Solvent (18c)
o Mediocre Juniper Compound (12c), Mediocre Juniper Emulsion (12c), Mediocre Juniper Mixture (12c), Mediocre Juniper Solvent (12c)
o Mediocre Liquified Allspice (18c), Mediocre Liquified Birchwood (18c), Mediocre Liquified Chloro (18c), Mediocre Liquified Juniper (18c), Mediocre Liquified Milkweed (18c), Mediocre Liquified Sassafras (18c), Mediocre Liquified Snakeroot (18c), Mediocre Liquified Twinleaf (18c)
o Mediocre Milkweed Compound (12c), Mediocre Milkweed Emulsion (12c), Mediocre Milkweed Mixture (12c), Mediocre Milkweed Oil (12c), Mediocre Milkweed Resin (12c), Mediocre Milkweed Solvent (12c), Mediocre Milkweed Wash (12c)
o Mediocre Sassafras Compound (12c), Mediocre Sassafras Emulsion (12c), Mediocre Sassafras Mixture (12c), Mediocre Sassafras Oil (12c), Mediocre Sassafras Resin (12c), Mediocre Sassafras Solvent (12c), Mediocre Sassafras Wash (12c)
o Mediocre Silverberry Mixture (12c), Mediocre Silverberry Solvent (12c)
o Mediocre Snakeroot Compound (12c), Mediocre Snakeroot Emulsion (12c), Mediocre Snakerood Mixture (12c), Mediocre Snakeroot Oil (12c), Mediocre Snakeroot Resin (12c), Mediocre Snakeroot Solvent (12c), Mediocre Snakeroot Wash (12c)
o Mediocre Twinleaf Compound (12c), Mediocre Twinleaf Emulsion (12c), Mediocre Twinleaf Mixture (12c), Mediocre Twinleaf Oil (12c), Mediocre Twinleaf Resin (12c), Mediocre Twinleaf Solvent (12c), Mediocre Twinleaf Wash (12c)
* Level 5:
o Please look over Level 4 and deduce which ingredients are different from the ones in your current wholesaler at level 5. If new ingredients show up from the list above, promptly reply to the post and let me know so that I can iron out from the list. Currently, this is the list that I have to go by.
* Level 6:
o Please look over Level 4 and deduce which ingredients are different from the ones in your current wholesaler at level 5. If new ingredients show up from the list above, promptly reply to the post and let me know so that I can iron out from the list. Currently, this is the list that I have to go by.
* Level 7:

Special Tradeskill Societies (confirm if any of the ingredients are in the wrong location please)

Scholar

* Level 1:
o Scholar Book Volumes (10-19), Alchemist Book Volumes (20-49), Jeweler Book Volumes (20-49), Sage Book Volumes (20-49)
o All Fuel Types (Candle, Coal, Filament, Incense, Sandpaper | 6c | )
o Celestial Solution (5s,76c), Celestial Suspension (5s, 76c), Diluted Solution (36c), Distilled Water (18c), Larent Solution (1s, 44c), Larent Suspension (1s, 44c), Suspension (36c)
* Level 2: Same as Level 1 + (no difference)
* Level 3: Same as Level 1 + (no difference)
* Level 4: Same as Level 1 + (no difference)
* Level 5: Same as Level 1 + (no difference)
* Level 6: Same as Level 1 + (no difference)
* Level 7: Same as Level 1 + (no difference)

Craftsman

* Level 1:
o Craftsman Book Volumes (10-19), Armorer Book Volumes (20-49), Tailor Book Volumes (20-49), Weaponsmith Book Volumes (20-49)
o Celestial Solution (5s,76c), Celestial Suspension (5s, 76c), Diluted Solution (36c), Distilled Water (18c), Larent Solution (1s, 44c), Larent Suspension (1s, 44c), Suspension (36c)

Outfitter

* Level 1:
o Outfitter Book Volumes (10-19), Carpenter Book Volumes (20-49), Provisioner Book Volumes (20-49), Woodworker Book Volumes (20-49)

Please provide me information on everything that sells in your wholesale society or specialist society. Please be sure to include the society's type (wholesale,scholar,craftsman,outfitter), the societies level, and the ingredients gained at each level. I will propagate the information into the list above.

Conclusion

I will continue to maintain this guide and the first in order to help other tradeskill professions in the game. If you find any information listed here inaccurate, or you feel some of the information needs to be revised, please post your thoughts and let me know. I will change, update, and fine tune this guide as I have the previous one so that all information is as accurate as possible.

Thank you,

Message Edited by Padashar on 11-29-2004 03:41 PM

Padashar Rashere
Summoner - 14 /Jeweler - 27
Antonia Bayle Server
Twilight Hall Jeweler - Lions Mane Tavern, South Qeynos
(3rd room to the right at the top of the stairs)
11-23-2004 02:44 PM
Rate this message: 1 2 3 4 5 (Best)
Report Abuse to a Moderator

Highlight This Message
Print This Message
E-Mail this Message to a Friend

Re: An Extensive Guide to Tradeskills (Advanced Version - Part Two) [ NEW ]
Options
Asamak
Journeyman

Viewed 8950 times

Once again, great post. Now if we can get them coompiled and get a sticky for all to read.
11-23-2004 02:50 PM

Mark Message as New
Add This Message to My Bookmarks
Add This Message to My Subscriptions
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Morie
Journeyman

Viewed 8832 times

Excellent job. Thank you for all the information and your time, Padashar.
11-23-2004 03:12 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
ChantelaGH
Journeyman

Viewed 8805 times

Awesome FAQ.

Just to slide in a quick error correction, I think you might have meant "Eolith Tempers" in this sentence:

" A great example would be Stroma Wash, Stroma Oil, Stroma Resin, and Stroma Tempers. "

An excellent point, btw. I'm passing your FAQ on to all the crafters in my guild!

---------------------

Stren (22 Scholar) on Najena Server (EQ2)
Chantela on Karana Server (EQ1)
11-23-2004 03:34 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Padashar
Journeyman

Viewed 8722 times

ChantelaGH wrote:
Awesome FAQ.

Just to slide in a quick error correction, I think you might have meant "Eolith Tempers" in this sentence:

" A great example would be Stroma Wash, Stroma Oil, Stroma Resin, and Stroma Tempers. "

An excellent point, btw. I'm passing your FAQ on to all the crafters in my guild!

Corrected. Thanks for the input on that. I was on a roll the other night and just couldn't stop with Stroma .

Padashar Rashere
Antonia Bayle Server
11-23-2004 03:47 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
ChantelaGH
Journeyman

Viewed 8687 times

LOL! Yeah I've been on the Stroma Train. There's just no stopping it! (hehe)

Some additional points which might be of use:

- Under the excellent "dumbing down" section, I would add that another reason to dumb-down is to save pack space (for yourself or for your customer!) by having all of the resultant items be of the same type.

- In the "Pristine or not to Pristine" section, it might be helpful to add a couple of examples, perhaps from Electrum or Turquoise jewelry, of how Shaped items come up with different stats (and lower skill req's) than Pristine items. Just a thought.

- It might be useful to include an explanation of the bug that causes the third quality tier to disappear in the middle of crafting an item (because you've pushed the Durability bar back into the Pristine range after it fell out of it). (If you covered this somewhere and I just missed it, please pardon me.) I have a feeling it'll be a while before this gets fixed.

- For your Interdependencies section, I can add that Sages make (at level 20) Generic Canvas Patterns, which are used by Tailors and Armorers. They're based on Canvas Thread, which is made by Tailors and Jewelers.

---------------------

11-23-2004 03:50 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
ChantelaGH
Journeyman

Viewed 8753 times

I named my merchant "Eolithia", by the way. (hehe)

---------------------

11-23-2004 03:52 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
circleman
Scholar

Viewed 8669 times

Great work once again Padashar. Thank you.
11-23-2004 04:19 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Padashar
Journeyman

Viewed 8663 times

ChantelaGH wrote:
LOL! Yeah I've been on the Stroma Train. There's just no stopping it! (hehe)

Some additional points which might be of use:

- Under the excellent "dumbing down" section, I would add that another reason to dumb-down is to save pack space (for yourself or for your customer!) by having all of the resultant items be of the same type.

Added.

- In the "Pristine or not to Pristine" section, it might be helpful to add a couple of examples, perhaps from Electrum or Turquoise jewelry, of how Shaped items come up with different stats (and lower skill req's) than Pristine items. Just a thought.

Added.

- It might be useful to include an explanation of the bug that causes the third quality tier to disappear in the middle of crafting an item (because you've pushed the Durability bar back into the Pristine range after it fell out of it). (If you covered this somewhere and I just missed it, please pardon me.) I have a feeling it'll be a while before this gets fixed.

Not Added - not sure if I want to start a bugs section. There are too many of them.

- For your Interdependencies section, I can add that Sages make (at level 20) Generic Canvas Patterns, which are used by Tailors and Armorers. They're based on Canvas Thread, which is made by Tailors and Jewelers.

Added. And this I need a lot more information for and for the societies. Thank you!

Padashar Rashere
Antonia Bayle Server
11-23-2004 04:27 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Ezrad
Apprentice

Viewed 8641 times

Great post. 5 stars.
11-23-2004 04:37 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Keltana
Scholar

Viewed 8565 times

As far as Interdependencies to add, and what a Tailor needs at Tier2...

Tailors require:
Jeweler: Carbonite Buckles

Tailors provide:
Armorer: Canvas Padding, Boiled Leather Harnesses

Keltana Paperdoll
27 Tailor by day,13 Brawler by night
Najena Server
11-23-2004 05:22 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Stach

Viewed 8567 times

Immensely helpful, Thank you!

One note:

When are we going to use Tier 3 icons?
When we need pristine items or quality.

If I read things correclty, shouldn't Tier 3 icons be used to "speed the process"?

------------------------------
Wick
Highkeep
11-23-2004 05:23 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Eriol
Journeyman

Viewed 8542 times
1 rating - 5.0 average

Skills

One thing I would add that is VERY pertinent IMO is gaining skills. As most of us (should) know, leveling up alone doesn't affect our skills. It affects which books you can scribe, and what reactives/buffs you get, but it does NOT make your actual ability to go up. That is achieved differently (more on this later).

For example, when you are at the alchemy table, the Alchemy skill determines your "max" of recipies you can make. It is much like the "armour" skills for adventurers in that they are permanently capped per level, so that you can "equip" stuff, but they are not a factor in item creation. But it is the CHEMISTRY skill that you need to work up. If you don't work up that chemistry skill, then even as a 19 scholar, if your chemistry skill is 40 (max 95), then you're performing like a level 8 (EIGHT) artisan on the chemistry table. You need to get that skill up as fast as possible so that your success rate is half-decent.

Now how do you do it? There are two ways:

1. Complete recipies: At the end of every item creation, there is a random chance to skill-up in whatever skill you were using. I have no idea if this chance is greater or smaller depending on how easy/hard the recipie is, but your skill can gain just by making items. But considering the amount of time each item takes (you probably need at least crude to have a chance at skill-up), look below.

2. Teir-2 (and above?) Buffs: The buffs that are teir-2 and above have a chance of increasing your skill EVERY TIME THEY ARE USED! Now consider that you get a chance to raise a skill once per recipie, or 3 times per tick. Obviously having these buffs can max your skill QUICKLY. And that's exactly what you should do when you hit your class. When I hit my class-level with both my characters (scholar and outfitter), their "primary" skills were in the 30s. But since I got the teir-2 buffs, their primary skills were maxed within 3 or 4 recipies for each type of skill. It really makes a MASSIVE difference in skill-gain over just making recipies. More than 20x faster really.

Now there is some debate on this, but I have NEVER had a teir-1 buff give me a skill-up. Finishing recipies in teir-1 give me skill-ups, but the teir-1 buffs DO NOT! EVER! Ever since I saw somebody insist that they do, I have been paying STRICT attention, and have never seen these buffs have any effect on my skill gain. Tier-2 buffsfor sure, but NOT teir-1.

IMO this is VERY important, and every person doing the trades needs to know that the skills are just as (or even more) important than levels.

Buffs

Now Padashar, something I would add to your buff section is a little more clarification. NOT all teir-2 buffs are durability-increasers. MOST, yes. But NOT all. Specifically, a teir-2 weaponsmithing buff that looks like a "white" sword lists its effect as making success more likely.

Also, though like I said it is NOT universal, I would break all buffs into 3 catagories, seperate from power and durability:

* Costs power, increases Success/Progress/Durability: These buffs give you a direct increase to either power or durability at the cost of power. No other side-effects.
* Decreases Success Rate, Increases Progress/Durability: These buffs increase the likelyhood of a "bad tick", but give increased progress or Durability, but COST NO POWER!
* Decreases Progress/Durability, Increases Durability/Progress: These buffs either increase progress, but cost durability, or increase durability, but cost progress, but again, both types COST NO POWER!

Now multiple different buff lines follow this EXACT model. The teir-1s are power, and the teir-2s are durability. But they follow in this "triplet" of one buff that takes power, one buff reduces success, and one buff reduces either durability or progress to enhance the other. This is important because if you are running low on power, you can use FOUR buffs that consume NO power. ZERO. At the least, you can take 3 of them. Often two durability buffs are enough to halt or even re-grow your durability bar, and thus allow you to "recover" when things go bad, at very little power expense. Often you can use a "+progress, - durability" buff and a "-progress, +durability" buff together, and the end result is BETTER than a "normal" tick with ZERO power usage! In a few cases, it is less progress per tick, but the ratio of progress to durability cost still is better than a normal tick.

Now there are tradeskills that do NOT follow this, but it is good to know which buffs consume power, and which do not, and the other effects of using them, since MANY do not use power.

Eriol
11-23-2004 05:36 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Krui
Journeyman

Viewed 8502 times

Quick Q on dumbing down: I'd always considered it just as fast to make pristine and get 4 units than to wimp out at crude and end up with 1. Considering you burn more resources, how is dumbing down efficient?
11-23-2004 06:15 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Eriol
Journeyman

Viewed 8460 times

Krui wrote:
Quick Q on dumbing down: I'd always considered it just as fast to make pristine and get 4 units than to wimp out at crude and end up with 1. Considering you burn more resources, how is dumbing down efficient?

You only get 4 products on pristine for the alchemy refines, and a very few other specific recipies.

In most cases, no point going past crude since it is single-result.

Eriol
11-23-2004 06:41 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Padashar
Journeyman

Viewed 8452 times

Krui wrote:

Dumbing down was never meant for ingredients like oils, washes, resins, tempers. I explained that in the guide. Read dumbing down and pristine or not to pristine and you will see the explanations. I'm not sure what you mean here. It's not something I said.

Padashar Rashere
Antonia Bayle Server
11-23-2004 06:47 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Flowenol
Apprentice

Viewed 8426 times

I'd like to add that another reason to dumb-down an item, is for the Workshop tasks. If your task is to make shaped banoliers (like mine was) and you make either crude, or pristine, they won't count. So remember you'll need to make the exact item called for.

Nice guide btw.

Kyndig
17 Cleric
16 Outfitter
11-23-2004 06:59 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Options
Padashar
Journeyman

Viewed 8424 times

Eriol wrote:
Skills

One thing I would add that is VERY pertinent IMO is gaining skills. As most of us (should) know, leveling up alone doesn't affect our skills. It affects which books you can scribe, and what reactives/buffs you get, but it does NOT make your actual ability to go up. That is achieved differently (more on this later).

I explained skill increases in detail in the first basic guide. I believe that skill increases should be a basic understanding and fundamental to understanding tradeskills initially. Therefore, I explained it there and not here.

Skill increases are tied to many things but more importantly, will occur the more you use advanced icons during buff phases while crafting. Whenever you use a "higher conned" reaction icon, you have a great chance for skill increases to occur.

Tier 1 icons do provide skill increases so long as the butotns are not grey. If the buttons are grey considered, then they will not provide skill ups. You receive skill-ups from three possible sources:

* Using higher considered Buff/Reaction icons (fastest way)
* Working with harder recipes (second fastest way)
* Random end-processing results (third way - much more slow)

Padashar Rashere
Antonia Bayle Server
11-23-2004 07:01 PM

Mark Message as New
Highlight This Message
Print This Message

Re: An Extensive Guide to Tradeskills (Advanced Version - Part Two) [ NEW ] [ Edited ]
Options
Padashar
Journeyman

Viewed 8402 times

Eriol wrote:

Buffs

Now Padashar, something I would add to your buff section is a little more clarification. NOT all teir-2 buffs are durability-increasers. MOST, yes. But NOT all. Specifically, a teir-2 weaponsmithing buff that looks like a "white" sword lists its effect as making success more likely.

Unfortunately, this information would have to be changed once I received clarification for it. If you are an advanced sub-class artisan that fills one of the 9-roles, please look over your tier 2 and tier 3 icons and let me know what they say.

If they are clarified, I will be more than happy to add these into the guide. However, the crafting portion of this guide is meant to help those who want pristine items. Using the durability pooled into reserve with progress pushing, it will give many players a firm understanding of how to create pristine items. Everyone will have their own subtle variations of how to craft and so no one will be the one true final word on it - including myself. However, there are no success icons for scholars so I have to provide the best information I can for the professions I know.

The rest will have to be clarified by those professions that have the icons and can verify this for certain. If they verify them, I will add them in the guide and divide the sections into 3 examples.

It is probably safe to say that the guide I'm offering for crafting items will benefit Scholar professions more than others as it pertains more across those lines. Buffs are universal for all scholar lines. Tier 1 is all progress, Tier 2 is all durability, and Tier 3 is all progress. If you find that your buffs are similar and universal, then the notes I give will help you in that regard. If it is not, clearly state what your icons do in terms of durability, progress, and success and how you craft using those particular three. I'll add in a differing style for others to read and understand then.

If, however, your icons are progress > durability > progress, I won't add in a new style into the guide but you can offer your opinion on how best to use those icons if it differs from my crafting perspective.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

From the official eq2 forums