Pally tanking?

Post subject: Pally tanking?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:45 pm 
Blonde
Blonde

hi guys, Zabbath here. I need a moment off my job (sitting all day and translating an Oprah episode about a pregnant guy into Polish) , so I've decided to ask some questions about pally tanking as this is what i intend to do whenever im not busy translating some more bullshit like Rachael Ray or dr Phil...

- How much hp/def do you think would be sufficient to start doing heroic wotlk content with a pally tank?
- Is it worth putting the +stats prismatic stones (im a blacksmith) in the slots or are there any better?
- What enchants/item enhancements do you reccomend? Prolly the new epic leg armor, but I need to know stuff like: is the shattered sun head glyph ok to start with?

Aaaaand anything youd like to add, thanks in advance.

P.S. the second i hear "Respecc retri, dude!" I may just be tempted t do that :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:02 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

Quote:
Respecc retri, dude!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Believe def is supposed to be around 495 to avoid crits and I know Desari likes dodge ,since anything that misses you doesn't hurt .Hp people are looking to hit 20k plus for MT but ot would be a bit less. Thats at 70 ofc ,80's are something else :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:53 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

from my horde tank back in the 70's

i found about 500 def any more was wasted, parry dodge and block all should add upto about 30-50% i think...

Somet i read basically meant that if you had a certain percentage of "avoidance" (amalgamation of the defenses) you "pushed" the list of blows a boss could do eg:

Crushing blow
Crit
normal blow
glancing blow

would be what a boss would do with the top being first. your avoidance would "push" the first one off, so if your avoidance or defense is high enough you cant be crushed.

This was a warrior thing but i think the mechanics are the same, its why spamming shield block was useful even when it blocked FA dmg cos it upped your avoidance percentage (shield block gave u 100% shield block) some silly.

as for armour i cant remember why but i think 50%dmg reduction was the best u could get so about 15k armour.

Im not 100% on it all as this was about 7 months ago before i stopped playing so i dont know whats changed but thats a rough idea, basically aim for about 500 def as much avoidance u can get and you can never have enough stamina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:12 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Crushing blows are a myth ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:14 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

like i said i wasnt 100%. But i think the mechanics work the same i was just using it as an explanation XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 pm 
Blonde
Blonde

Yeah I've hear some stuff about that "uncrushable" topic before. Well my main concern is that though im a bit over 500 in def and a bit over 21k in hp i seem to avoid dmg way too rarely... sure the armor and skills lets me decrease the amunts im getting but even with my +blck ability and the other, proccing one i stil loose hp slightly too fast - threat is not a problem, never got overaggroed. Its making it easier for the healer that bothers me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:44 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

try gettin your avoidance up then :) my horde tank aint got much in the way of hp and when i do get hit sometimes i take a whack but the thing is all i saw was "block, dodge, parry," etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:46 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

def cap is raised at lvl80

if ya bored and like numbercrunching

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37172-protection_paladin_field_manual_wow-3_0_wotlk/

RIP Gwen|Gwennendorf|Gwenyth|Gwynn|Brandt