Violence and the video game

Post subject: Violence and the video game
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:22 am 
N.S.F.W.

Some seemingly good news. Though undoubtedly it will be ignored by the majority of the media.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_ ... d=26320503

You rawk Gynggyr :D You're undoubtedly my favourite welsh c*nt.
I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 am 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

Video games don't make me want to kill people, reports saying video games will make me want to kill people make me want to kill people :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:49 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Meh, you can hardly call WoW a violent game. Lemme see some real research done, especially after people have played Postal 2 or sommat like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:40 pm 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

I played Postal 2.
I played all the GTA's.
I enjoy watching horrormovies with axemurderers and chainsaw psychos
I laugh at demotivators of dead people if the caption is funny.

I've never even thrown a punch in my life.
I've never physically harmed a human being or animal.
I'm generally regarded as a kind and easygoing individual.

If video games have any influence on a person's acts in real life, than that is because this person is mentally unstable to begin with. If a video game doesn't trigger him, something else will.

People like Jack Thompson should GTFO and fight some of the REAL dangers in society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:59 am 
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt
Hi I Got Banned Coz Im a Spamming Cunt

we had murders before so called video game stimulation and we have murders in countries where the computer hasnt been introduced.

People forget we are a base level animal and pretty fukin violent with it too .

Akemi wrote:
Never ever thought i would say this, but... i agree with Xui... damn i feel like i need a shower now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:19 pm 
N.S.F.W.

Ghibli wrote:
Video games don't make me want to kill people, reports saying video games will make me want to kill people make me want to kill people :)

lol

I was gonna write more, but I came directly after finishing the above sentence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Sorry chaps but I disagree to an extent.

I think the level of violence that children are shown on a daily basis through TV, DVDs, games and the media in general has played a big part in the level of random violence in our society in the UK today. I think it de-sensitises kids and makes them think that violence is a normal way to behave. You have to ask what is going on in kids' heads when they beat the fuck out of people and post it on You Tube. Games play their part in this as do the other things, but I could write a book on the other things so I'll leave it there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:11 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I think everyone should stop blaming something else and start with how people are raisinge their kids

I skimmed over the article pretty quickly and agreed, but after seeing it was about WoW.. They might aswell have picked a Wii game.
Hell, after seeing what WoW was all about I pretty much fell asleep slashing the 10th creature. Can't get more relaxed than that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:23 am 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

n3m wrote:
I think everyone should stop blaming something else and start with how people are raisinge their kids

This is *exactly* the problem right there. Don't blame games, TV, violence or society. It's up to the parents to raise their kids right. Some ppl nowadays seem to think that dumping their offspring in the street all day will somehow make them a rich investment banker or bigshot CEO.

I've played countless violent games and seen countless violent movies, but I wouldn't harm a fly because my parents raised me with the right values.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Gangster No:1 wrote:

I think the level of violence that children are shown on a daily basis through TV, DVDs, games and the media in general has played a big part in the level of random violence in our society in the UK today. I think it de-sensitises kids and makes them think that violence is a normal way to behave. You have to ask what is going on in kids' heads when they beat the fuck out of people and post it on You Tube. Games play their part in this as do the other things, but I could write a book on the other things so I'll leave it there.

If that's the case mate we'd all be psychos.

This is getting dangerously close to politics and ethics which are things I like to stay out of.

I'll leave it here tbh. Jack Thompson is a loon - the best thing any committed gamer can do is pray he continues. Whilst he keeps bombarding the media and the average guy with these stupid stories and ludicrous cases we're safe. The longer we can keep this guy in the spotlight the better. The last thing we need is someone competent, charismatic and intelligent leading a charge against games, that would cause problems for all fps gamers around the world

Daco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 am 
HAI KARATE!!!!!11

mongoose wrote:

This is getting dangerously close to politics and ethics which are things I like to stay out of.

I'll leave it here tbh. Jack Thompson is a loon - the best thing any committed gamer can do is pray he continues. Whilst he keeps bombarding the media and the average guy with these stupid stories and ludicrous cases we're safe. The longer we can keep this guy in the spotlight the better. The last thing we need is someone competent, charismatic and intelligent leading a charge against games, that would cause problems for all fps gamers around the world

Daco

Wait a minute. I don't feel like killing Jack Thompson when I read Jack Thompon's literature. But... your posts...

[15:54:29] Dacovale > just a flying visit to transer some isk to my new mining char

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:05 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

mongoose wrote:
Gangster No:1 wrote:

Daco

I think the increasingly psychotic behavior of many teenagers and young adults proves the point then. I don't remember gangs of kids kicking adults to death in the UK when I was growing up - do you?

I'm not blaming games on their own for that, but they are an acceptable part of kids seeing too much violence. How many parents / shops enforce the age rating for games?

Totally agree on the parenting comments but the fact of the matter is again that a large part of what your kids are exposed to is out of your control today. Families in the UK need two wage earners to afford the cost of living and kids spend more time with a nursery attendant and in the company of badly behaved kids than their parents.

Sorry to bang on and on about it but I really don't want to bring the Charlie boy up in England because I feel so strongly about how shit our society has become. But I can't blame games for that - they're just a small part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:46 pm 
Clanger!

Ethics and values come from parents not videogames.

Society in general seems much more violent then 20 years ago, then again we hardly had any TV channels, no-one had a PC at their home let alone internet.

I agree there seems to be more violence, but comparing it to 20 or so years ago doesnt cut it really. You reckon we would've heard the OJ simpson story at all if it wasn't for extensive media coverage? I wonder if the tsunami from a couple of years ago would've made it into the news.

Fact is the media and newsgathering have taken a leap from where it was 20 years ago, as well as the methods of people getting the news. More violence being reported doesn't necissarily make the whole population more violent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:24 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

When my parents got divorced I kept it secret because absolutely no-one else I knew had seperated parents. Now any piece of scum can pump out the babies and not care about supporting them because society will pick up the tab. The result is that they don't receive proper parenting. The fact that people now play violent computer games is simply a co-incidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:12 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

i request we close this , its getting way to close to being a serious thread to be on these forums :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:36 am 
Dyed Ginger
Dyed Ginger

Nothing wrong with a little serious debate, as long as it doesn't end up in massive flamewars :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:05 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

We don't do flaming - we're mates for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:12 pm 
Clanger!

for the other part they're trannies with a prefernce for bloated sheep...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm 
N.S.F.W.

KuifJe wrote:
for the other part they're trannies with a prefernce for bloated sheep...

you knows it boyo :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:10 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

boyo? thats welsh dai.