Dwarf Fortress

Post subject: Dwarf Fortress
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:05 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

I'm playing it. It's worth a shot, if you can live with graphics from 20 years ago (or, alternatively, download a graphic pack for it). Yesterday my fortress got attacked by first a goblin siege, and when my dwarves were out collecting the loot, a dragon decided to join in on the fun, and toasted about 15 of them, before walking straighting into a cage trap. So now I have a fortress filled with emo dwarves and a pet dragon that I'm thinking of putting in my moat.

Anyway, try it. You will want a tutorial: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/ ... art-1-wtf/

Can also download the tutorial version there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:05 pm 
Ginger Quiff with Crimson Low Lights

hmm ok, been looking for something silly to play, so whats the best version to get? The one on tutorial?

& why are the graphics so retro (err... dated)

WoW (Bloodhoof) - Pogmahone 70 Priest, Pogmashon 70 Shaman
EQ1 (Cazic Thule) - Pohok 67 Shadowkinght
Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone
Secret World (Grim) - Shannon "Glaeva" Feng QL5 (Dragon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:43 pm 
Ginger!
Ginger!

yeah, get the one on tutorial, that way you'll get the same site as the tutorial uses - helps a lot your first few times around.

As for the graphics... you don't really need better, although it'd be nice :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:12 pm 

Ok been playing it a while now, It's pretty good, very indepth to start with, few irritating things with the game. You can't exit without saving for example. Using task manager to cancel the game can cause corruptions in you save file too. So basically if you screw up you have to reload from a backup copy or live with it. My first game (tutorial game) bugged to point of crash after at around the 10 year mark, then I read about the task manager corruption. My current game is a randomly generated world, & is going better but I rarely get attacked or see a caravan (yet to see elves) after about 7 years. It would also be nice if they simplified the menu's aswell, build & dig on different menu's that do the same thing but it depends on whether you are over ground or under it, eg: you have to dig stairs down, or construct stairs up, both in different parts of the menu's. Making the game more mouse friendly would help alot.

All that said it is interesting & fun, the tutorial is essential, play through that once then you can move on to your own world/fort & not be entirely lost. Currently I'm working on a last ditch death gauntlett thats filled with an array of traps & can the be sealed with the flick of a switch & flooded with another, should take out around 50 goblins & seal me in the Fort at the same time :twisted:

Couple of other links that are nice

3D Visualiser for seeing how your fort looks for real
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=608.0

Dwarf Fortress wiki, good reference & most questions answered here.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:04 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Glad you liked it. I'm currently just experimenting with stuff on my fortress - mist generators, drowning chambers, prisoner gauntlets, towers and the like. A lot more interesting with goblins and humans at war with me as well - and I've managed to kill a titan and a dragon so far (well, the dragon landed on a human invasion, roasted them and then died from the wounds it got from them... so technically not my kill). But, no room for a proper megaproject any longer - thus needing a new site.

For those that feel like it, read boatmurdered. Good read even if you don't play the game: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/intro.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:28 pm 

nice, enjoying boatmurdered, its funny to see how others run things, although I get the impressions that some of the rulers just don't give a shit lol. I absolutely creased myself at the mass flood of the plain outsided the fort, which then prompted the ruler of the time to release the lava flow, which then ensued a massive steam & noxious fumes death area of scalding water & magma, the hordes of elephants that had previously been harrasing the fort were char broiled much to great joy of the inhabitants therein. Then to add icing to the cake, when the dust had settled and the water had evaporated, & magma cooled to leave a vast plain of dust, bones, & burning debris.... along come the elves to tell them how really pissed they are at the utter disregard for nature the dwarfs had.

I haven't seen a dragon yet, I had a Titan come stomping onto the map, it charged a fisherdorf & squished him flat, the proceeded straight into a cage trap, so now it has pride of place in my zoo :twisted:

Currently I've finished my death gaunlett, & have just expanded the walls of my fort so that I can start construction on a mega project in the middle of it, a gladitorial pit, with seats & stalls, like a mini colosium :D

Can you tell I'm a little bored lol, the last seige I had was about 4 years ago, & it consisted of 20 goblins, which were sent forth to untimely death while the leader stood at the edge of the map then legged it after they all died, I think I lost 1 dwarf in that attack, some geezer decided it would be a great idea to kamikaze the onrushing horde.

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:14 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Once you get used to the game you should check out the orc mod.

Goblins are nothing.

Also, "Goblin, the 4th iron ore." - I have 4 goblin civs whenever I gen a new world; just to make sure I don't run out. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:19 pm 

Hmm, even without lots of goblins iron is really an issue, you can trade for steel/iron items & melt them down (if they don't fit), its a slower process, but doesn't take long to have a full chain army.

One thing I am struggling with atm is miltary, it's easy enough to get all the dorfs in the fort to adept wrestlers but when it comes to melee dwarfs its a different story. I swear my own dorfs have killed more of their kin in sparring in the barracks than suicides & invaders combined, also nearly every single legendary melee dorf I have has nervous damage (brain/spine), thus stopping them from getting more experienced (because they stop sparring) unless they pick up a crossbow. The enervous damage doesn't heal, nor does it stop them from using goblins like putty, but it basically means they do nothing, not even train, just lounge around waiting for something to pummel. Kinda irritating when currently I have 125 dorfs, everytime a new one is born, another gets killed sparring, or comits suicide. I'm suposed to have 6 royal guards & 12 guards, but due to 1/3 of the fort being babies thats near impossible.

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:49 am 
Ginger!
Ginger!

Yeah - if you want them to train a weapon, give them a weapon of silver; silver's got a 50% damage modifier (iron is 100%, steel 133, and adamantine 500% - copper and bronze are below 100% as well). Lower damage modifier = less accidents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:54 pm 

New version released on 1st april, only just found it so haven't played it yet, lots of changes though.

Download
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Changes
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/2010

Still looking into graphics upgrades, seems to lots of different people working different styles, from 2D to 3D

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:13 pm 

Dwarf Fortress - Mike Mayday's graphical edition (DFG)
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

Dwarf Therapist, manager prog
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/downloads/list

3d Visualiser, real look
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1272

Stonesense 2.0 Slate, anime look
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.0

Neopets - Pogmashon
EVE - Pogmashone